96 Escort 1.8 turbodiesel problem

Went to start my daughters car this morning. It hasn't been used for a couple of weeks. A bit of heat and it started straight away. Within a few seconds it started running a bit lumpy. I increased the revs a little but it did not want to rev. Within about 30 seconds the engine died and now refuses to fire at all. Any ideas please ?

Car was fully serviced about 2 months ago (with new fuel filter) and the lift pump was renewed about 6 months ago. I'm presuming this is a fuel problem, do these things need bleeding or are they self-priming? I was the last one to use the car about 2 weeks ago on a 200 mile round trip, so I'm fairly sure that it is not petrol in the fuel. The car was running fine then.

Thanks

Nic.

Reply to
Nic O'Demus

Sounds like a lift pump again........ Slacken 2 injector pipes and crank it.... this will bleed air from the system......but you need to establish if the primer diaphragm isn't bust first..... Also on the TD there is a multiplug going into the Injector Pump...... Round connecter with 7 or 8 wires in it.... Take it apart and check for corrosion.

JK

Reply to
JK

2nd-ed. - Fuel has run back to the tank through either a burst primer diaphram (common) or leaking pipe.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..