'96 Ford Fiesta Ghia 1.25 won't start

Got a problem with my car ('96 Ford Fiesta Ghia 1.25), and excuse me if its obvious but im a novice here. The engine doesnt come on at all, no sound of it turning over or trying to start, just a very faint whirring, possibly electrical, sound. It was driven through a nasty puddle less than 24 hours before it seized up which is likely cause. Any suggestions? Cheers

Reply to
Jollux

"Jollux" wrote .

Bump-start it then let it warm up on tick-over for 30 minutes or so and see if that makes any difference. Failing that, you will probably need a new starter motor, which isn't a difficult job.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Cheers, tried bump-starting it earlier, but no luck at all, nothing. My dad suspected starter motor too.

Reply to
Jollux

TRy tapping the starter motor hard with a lump of wood whilst someone else turns the key & it may unstick itself.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If bump starting it doesn't work then can the starter really be suspect? I would've thought bump starting takes the starter out of the equation... (much like jump starting does likewise with the battery).

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Did it drive home OK after going through the puddle? If it did, the puddle is probably not the problem, although you can't rule out the wiring to something having been knocked off by the force of water.

It sounds like the whirring sound you're hearing is the fuel pump coming on. Do the lights on the dash come on as normal when you turn the ignition on? Do they go dim when you try to start? If you turn the headlights on and try to start, what happens to the headlights?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Hmm, think I'd want to check whether the timing belt is still in one piece ;) Hydraulic lock leading to bent valves or snapped belt sounds somewhat likely depending how deep the puddle was...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

It depends on how good you are at bump starting it :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Wow, thanks for all your responses so far!

Managed to jump start it before, took it for a run, but once i stopped and turned ignition off it wouldnt start again.

Jump started again and took it to local garage, guy checked the battery and said it was dead. Then turned ignition off, and it started again, although reluctantly. He then suggested ignition switch...

It drove home fine after going through the puddle (at least a 15 min motorway journey), and it was quite deep.

My parents suggested hitting starter motor, but my dad couldnt find it, and i dont know what im looking for to be honest.

Lights are all operational (headlights and dashboard lights). Just tried it again just now, about 45 mins after taking to and from the garage and it started fine, left it running for a few mins. Thanks for everyones help btw

Reply to
Jollux

"Jollux" wrote in news:1164718319.121356.118920 @l39g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Quite possibly just water getting into placed it shouldn't and causing a short. Now it's dried off it's ok?

Reply to
Tunku

Very unlikely on this engine - the air intake is about level with the headlights.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Ah...I sit corrected ;) And the OP did say it ran afterwards anyway ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Good point! Maybe getting the wife to do the pushing isn't the best strategy...

Reply to
Mathew Newton