99 Accord clutch

Hi How big a job is changing a clutch in one of these, a 1999 2.0LS saloon vtec? I'm a keen diy-er with access to a pit but not a lift. Previous experience is various RWD toyotas (easy), Mk 3 Golf (moderate), 95 Celica (quite difficult). How am I likely to find the Accord. Are there any classic nightmares with this engine/box or special tools required?

Thanks Al

Reply to
amoorcroft

Autodata list it as a 5 plus hour job, so that is twice as long as a golf for instance.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Out of interest - what does autodata have to say about a 2000 MY Mitsubishi Space Star 1.3 GLX clutch? The main dealer told me it was an 8 hours job (the same people that told me it took 2 hours to change the rear roof mounted seat belt that I showed them it only took 5 minutes start to finish - which rather suprised them)

Cheers dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

It says 3.9 hours. I usually find that the times are about right if you haven't done one before, but are an experienced mechanic with a good workshop. You could knock off about 10 - 20 percent if you had done one before (in quite a few cases anyway)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Ta muchly,

Now I'll get the boggle-o-matic calculator and work out how ((3.9 * 60) +

91) * 1.175 = 700 quid which is what they quoted me. I *know* it's an LS clutch in the car - which is about 91 quid plus vat for the clutch kit....so - wonder if they can explain the balance....

My usual non-mitsy but very jap orented mechanic has quoted me 280 all in - which is much more in line with what you'd suggest @ his reasonable £30/hr.

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

They probably priced the job such, so they hopefully don't get the job. It's a common way to avoid getting jobs that they know are a complete PITA. And if they do get the job, they make enough money to keep everyone happy.

Besides, nobody is actually required to charge the standard times. Garages can quote for as many hours as they want on a job.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill