aaahhhhh crud!!!

Hi all,

Just had a great time trying to change the glow plugs on my 2 litre TD Montego. Try as I might, I just couldn't get the things out, I could turn them a bit but that was it...

Then, come back to the first one WD40'd it hoping to free it off a bit left it to soak in a bit, tightened it back up a bit then tried again.

It turns a bit then whoops, the nut rounded. now its about halfway out (but still tight) wont go in, wont come out.

The car still starts and runs but for about 2-3 seconds it is a bit rough first thing so I'm not that concered about changing them but thought it might be a good idea.

Any ideas?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Get a single hex 12mm socket on it and keep turning it in and out, using wd40 liberally until it comes out.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Tried that, thats how I eventually rounded it :(

Might just give up on it as I can't think of a way of doing it without possibly causing more damage. It's having it's front brakes sorted on Sat so might get the guy who's doing that to take a gander.

At least Winters (hopefully) coming to a close, might get nearly another year out of it before I get major problems.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

It is usually only double hex sockets that round off things !! The cure is to weld a cheap socket on and use that to remove it.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yep, thats the other idea I had. I think it garage time as I dont know how to weld (yet).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

If the car starts OK and you aren't that worried about changing them, why were you changing them?

Reply to
Alan

Sorry, maybe I wasn't that clear. Starts first time but seems to struggle a bit, like a petrol when the dizzy caps knackered seems to not quite fire on all cylinders for a few seconds. After that it runs fine so I was just going to swap them to solve that.

Going to the local mechanic on Sat for the brakes to be done and he says he will have a look see what he can do. Says he will probably end up welding a socket on it (MrCheerful suggested the same thing) and he will change them if he can get them out :)

Hopefully it wont start so rough once done.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson