Air Idle Control Valve

Should an engine be able to run with this electrically disconnected, but still in place?

Reply to
Tunku

It depends on how open it sits, almost all the ones I've seen would stall.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Depends on if the system has a base idle setting device or if the idle air valve is only source of air. Base idle setting may be an air bleed screw or the good old hold the throttle open a bit on an adjustable stop. If system has base idle it will be setup, with the idle air valve unplugged, to an engine speed slighly short of the target rpm. Then the ECU uses the idle air valve to bring engine speed up to target.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Which means any large electrical load stalls it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It can still run but may not idle, so you might need some throttle to start it and keep it going, otherwise it will run alright.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes although it may not idle, depending on the engine management system. It's a common fault on my wife's FTO but on hers, they do idle once hot but will not increase speed at idle to cope with power steering demands.

Reply to
Conor