Android / OBD reader recommendations?

Hi,

I've recently bought an Android tablet (Archos 80 G9) and note there are *loads* of what seem to be mainly Bluetooth interfaced OBD reader apps (this tablet has a full USB connector designed for a 3G Dongle plus a micro USB host connector (I'm waiting for a converter lead off eBay)).

I have an Elm USB jobby but I think this tablet would lend itself to the role better than even a Netbook (and better over BT if for no reason other than it being 'wireless' etc.

So, has anyone got such a combo they could recommend please?

Currently it's only for the S&G's but you never know when such things could come in handy.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

This one

works OK for me using the Torque App on HTC Hero or Asus TF101 Eepad

YMMV, there are many similar devices out there, most of the cheaper ones use a copy of the ELM327 chip at the core of these devices and may not be perfect.

May not fit recessed OBD2 connectors without an extension cable. Tested OK on 97 Fiesta and 2010 Toyota Auris.

HTH

Chris K

Reply to
Chris K

That looks very *like* my USB one (and was recommended here a while back).

Ah, a free and a £2.95 version, thanks.

With that in mind do you think this could be the same?

He mentions Android, Torque and seems to have sold a few with good feedback ... or would you still go with dx.com because they are a known quantity?

Ok thanks.

I've run the USB version on daughters 2001 Corsa and so am fairly hopeful it should be ok on our 2004 Meriva.

It may well have done, thanks Chris. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Looks the same - I think there are a lot of small manufacturers of these things in the far East assembling nominally the same components so there may be differences between what seems to be the same item. Same price as DX without the slow boat from China delivery :-). Worth a £15 bet I guess.

His list of compatible vehicles looks a bit scrappy - I'm sure it would work on the Yaris for example. It covers all the access protocols including CAN. Very small chance the Meriva would be difficult though I'm not sure whether it is useful for diesels.

The list of sensors covered is to do with the vehicle and the reader software, not the hardware. Torque polls the ECU and lists all the available ones.

Chris

Reply to
Chris K

As you say though, the devil *can* be in the detail with such things.

(I thought that). ;-)

Ok thanks.

Talking of that I just tried my USB version on my Android tablet and whilst it powers up and initially 'talks' to the reader, the Torque app doesn't seem to see it nor can be set to (seems like BT and WiFi only). Not to say there isn't one that does support USB of course but I guess that is less common on tablets and Smartphones?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Think that is unlikely. Android has no real support for USB-Serial bridges, there are drivers for some but it involves rooting your device and recompiling (bits of) the kernel and persuading the app to use it :-(, safer to stick with Bluetooth...

Chris

Reply to
Chris K

Ah, not really for me then (at the moment anyway).

Quite (as I might be able to qualify tomorrow if my Postman does his thing). ;-)

Thanks for the help, cheers, T i m

p.s. Have you tried any Newsreaders on Android please? I have installed Groundhog and setup one newsgroup ok but whilst it can find and appears to let me subscribe to a couple of others it can't seem to display any messages (or headers) from them?

Reply to
T i m

Well, the day after isn't too bad. ;-)

Plugged it in and paired it with the Tablet and it seemed to working ok. I took it round the block and saw the temperature build up (and it seemed to agree with the car temperature gauge). Is it simply reflecting the info the EMU is gleaning from the temperature sensor?

Plenty of inputs to choose from and it will be interesting to see which are active on this setup etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m