What is approx normal coolant temp for 1.9 L Diesel engine

What would be a normal coolant temp for 1.9 L Diesel engine? There's no temp dial on our Caddy 1.9diesel and the ODB reader is saying it's 60 deg C - which seems very low. Have change the 'stat - but still the same reading. It could be the temp sender - but the heater temp in the cabin area is only slightly warm, so the reading of

60 could be right. How can an engine run this cool?
Reply to
mike

Diesels take a long time to get fully hot, at which point the temp. should match that of the thermostat, usually between 80 and 90 degrees. I would not rely on the read out till you know it is accurate, which means you need to get an old fashioned temp gauge taped to the top pipe of the radiator and see what that says.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Diesels can run perfectly pretty cold without glaring symptoms. Fuel consumption might go up and the might coke up internally but you'd never tell from the engine note.

I don't know about Caddys but Diesels often have more than one thermostat for things like EGR cooler circuits and autobox heat exchangers. Since the circuits are effectively in parallel and modern cars have very effective rads, any one sticking open (or getting weak and opening early) can drag the temperature right down.

Reply to
Scott M

What's more, a VW TDI/SDI will quite possibly never get fully warm in cold weather unless given a bit of load, apparently.

Reply to
Chris Bartram