Any dwell meter experts

I'm getting varying readouts from a dwell meter when its attached to the distributor of an 8 cylinder engine. (Its a Volvo Aquamatic 260hp boat engine which is now nearly 25 years old but still going strong, fingers crossed)The distributor uses a single set of points. I'm trying to source the problem of rough idle and apparent mis-firing at low revs.

Any body got any ideas ?

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Are the bearings of the cam drive worn and loose? This would badly effect the dwell.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

As would the shaft bearings.

Reply to
Conor

Worn cam. Weak points spring. Play in the distributor bearings or cam to shaft bearings. Play in the baseplate pivot(s)

If it is wear in the distributor, an IR switched system like Luminition will give constant dwell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

what about shagged out condenser ?

Reply to
BORG

This won't affect the dwell, although it might account for misfiring.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Have replaced the condenser already. No difference.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Will look into the Luminition system.

I did notice that when setting the points with a feeler gauge it was possible to move the rotor/cam slightly, as normal, but it didn't spring back.

This is the only engine I service now, apart from garden equipment, and as I only do it once a year I have got very rusty. Either that or I'm past it.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

In a rotary way? If so, that won't effect the dwell. If side to side, could be a worn baseplate. Many remember to put a drop of oil down the shaft, but not to oil this. (the top part pivots on the bottom as the vacuum advance operates.)

What make of distributor? It may be possible to buy a new baseplate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

the distributor would have to be falling apart to really make a lot of difference, just set it to 30 degrees of dwell, with new points.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Paul Mc Cann saying something like:

Bent or worn distributor driveshaft and / or worn points cam. Have you any chance of finding the original specs for the distributor and/or a replacement? It's not a Lucas, is it?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Any chance the vacuum advance mechanism is playing up?

just my 2p

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin