Are you still twiddling your thumbs thinking of getting some new tyres?

Well, don't.

"...rises are expected to bite consumers later this year...cost of replacing all the tyres on an average family car will climb by as much as £50, while some high-performance sports models could cost £300 more..."

Lin Chung

Bullshit. That'd mean tyre prices for my car more than doubling.

Reply to
Doki

"Sumitomo Rubber Industries (Dunlop and Falken brands) has become the second Japansese tyre-maker in a frtnight to issue a profit warning following soaring raw material costs."

They've reduced profits forcast by 39%.

Bridgestone similarly reduced theirs by 35%, and Goodyear and Michelin have also warned of the same problem.

Manufacturers will pass some of the costs onto the end user - at £50 for

4 tyres (£12.50 per tyre) it might be possible - I doubt the higher end ones would cost £75 per tyre more just through raw material costs - I'd imagine the increase should be the same throughout the range - any additional increases more premium products would be down to additional markup I expect. D
Reply to
David Hearn

Aah. Read it as prices of car tyres climbing by £50, not a SET.

Reply to
Doki

David Hearn ( snipped-for-privacy@NOswampieSPAM.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There's a lot more rubber in a big 4x4 tyre than a Micra tyre. Also, it'd seem more appropriate to put an across-the-range %age hike on, rather than some fixed amount that'll double the Micra tyre and be insignificant on the range-topper.

Reply to
Adrian

I agree that different tyre sizes will be affected differently. I just meant that your budget tyre (or a particular size) would see a similar increase in raw materials cost to a premium brand/model (of the same size) as they're going to use a similar amount of rubber - after all - the tyres are going to be the same size.

David Hearn

Strangely enough big 4x4 tyres aren't all that expensive - low-profiles are _much_ pricier.

Reply to
Chris Bolus