Astra radio interference

Does anyone know what causes the speedometer transmitter to be intermittently picked up when using medium wave? I've had two new company Astras with this fault which my Vauxhall garage describes as common, and they don't know the cause.. It sounds like a bad earth connection to me - switching the side lights on and off several times will often get rid of the white noise until it suddenly comes back. The interference usually disapears when the engine is warm and is worse in wet conditions. Any Ideas?? Phil..

Reply to
Philip Jones

As I replied in my other post in which you asked exactly the same question:-

1). Bad earth at the aerial base. There is a nut with a toothed washer which bites into the bodywork to provide a good earth. Sometimes a quick tweak with a spanner is enough to re-establish a good earth. 2). Break in the signal or screen part of the coaxial aerial cable that runs from front to rear. Sometimes, the fault lies in the connector that is used to join the front and rear sections of the loom. This can be overcome by installing a one-piece aerial lead, part no. 90513340. I have fitted many of these leads during my stint as an auto-electrician, and their fitment cures about 95% of all interference problems.

The ultimate cure is to give up listening to medium wave - it will never be perfect, especially in an electrically noisy environment such as a car. Even on a portable stereo, medium wave has loads of static and spurious noise, so why expect a car stereo to be as good as FM?

HTH

Anthony remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

The sole fact that MW is an outdated transmission band that is so prone to interference it is unreal.

Reply to
Conor

But you can't get Test Match Special on FM! Reason enough to get good AM reception, at least until DAB is universally available.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Thanks Anthony for your suggestions. Vauxhall seem convinced now that I need a new 'Aerial Amplifier' ?? I'll let them go to the bother as it's still under Warranty, and see what they have to suggest when it doesn't cure the fault :-) Phil..

Reply to
Philip Jones