ATF for cleaning diesel injectors+ best flushing agent for oil change

I did see some mention of best/cheapest method of cleaning injectors. Automatic transmission fluid was seen as a good method - 1 litre per 20 gallons??? forget the ratio. Why would a high grade oil work or is it similar to the Forte injector cleaner? What is in the Forte fluid anyway? Bit expensive but seems to work.

Another additive that I use is a flushing agent when changing oil. Anyone have any recommendations -is it justified/waste of money etc.

I have a high mileage diesel and would like to keep it working for as long as possible :-) One way is to give it appropriate treatment - with the emphasis on appropriate

Any thoughts.

Reply to
sid

injectors.

ATF works because it is very high detergent combined with a lubricant.

or is it

I have no idea what it is but I am glad you have found, as many others have, that it works well. I only use it at MOT time for an old Land Rover, and only then because old LR's tend to be tested by C&E who might take offence to ATF, which is red ;-)

If you change the oil at regular intervals then it is a waste of time. Having said that, my old LR really mucks up the oil and I sometimes refill it with used oil from another, cleaner, engine together with a litre of diesel for a couple of miles use before draining and refilling with champagne quality oil. So yes, flushing additive does have an use I suppose if you have left changes a bit long in a particularly mucky engine.

Keep the costs down by using the minimum of expensive additives but use good quality oil that meets API CH4.

Huw

Reply to
Huw