TESCO petrol - Is it Pooh?

I have been advised by my garage (mercedes) not to buy Tesco Petrol as it is the worst of any petrol in the market anf wil basically **** up my engine - best to stick to shell (THEY DO Not sell petrol0

anyon else heard this/ advised of this by their dealer?

Reply to
maxwell

I drove a peugeot 406 from 40000 to 114000 miles in two years and then a mazda for 36000 with no problems.

If there's something wrong with it hasn't bothered my cars

Dave

maxwell wrote:

Reply to
toastydave

My old Cavalier 1.4L was very thirsty on supermarket fuel

Always ran better on BP

My Rover 600 seems happier on Shell Optimax. Better fuel economy and better acceleration and idles more smoothly.

Anyone know why

Reply to
John Rogerlot

I would have thought shell would sell you petrol after all, they sell groceries as well don't they :)

Reply to
dojj

I once spoke to the owner of a Jet garage in Northern Ireland. He basically said that the petrol companies trade petrol amongst themselves and therefore you can't really tell whose is whose.

Tesco's could be being sold near you, even by Shell!

David

Reply to
David Lane

I've always stuck to Shell diesel after several different people telling me that they add a lubricant which helps the longevity of the fuel pump, although I don't really know whether it's true.

Reply to
ivan

That is correct as far as bulk fuel is concerned. However some have additive packages which are exclusive to them. This is added at the road tanker level and does make a difference in many areas, such as the quality of combustion and frothiness at the filler nozzle.

Hardly likely because Tesco has no refineries but Shell has. Maybe Tesco fill at a Shell refinery but not the other way around.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

petrol0

They all do or pumps would fail wholesale.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Rubbish, all a Diesel pump needs for lubrication is Diesel, which is a lubricant in itself.

Reply to
SimonJ

The average car dealers knowledge of fuel chemistry could be written on the back of a postage stamp with room to spare for the works of Shakespear. I can sit and watch fuel tankers (Shell, BP, Sainsbury, Tesco etc)draw up to the same tank near here and fill up with the same petrol. Possibly some add the odd extra dollop of glop (assuming someone remembers) but the petrol is exactly the same in all of them.

Reply to
Peter Parry

That's what I don't understand the point of. In another thread people mentioned that it's all the same stuff, except fuel destined for different retail outlets gets different additives. Why is this, and what difference do the additives make? What different effect do the additives in, for example, Sainsbury's petrol, have compared with the additives in BP petrol?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The only difference I know of between supermarket and branded petrol is that the supermarket pumps are so slow - why?!

Reply to
dave F

The people who recommended Shell said that they had always used it after reading 'Honest John'.. below is one of his comments I found on the subject with a google search.

"I'm sticking to Shell Superunleaded for one of my cars and Texaco CleanSystem 3 for the other. The one supermarket fuel I would use is 'City Diesel' from Sainsbury's. This is a low-sulphur fuel, offering low emissions, and has the right amount of the right 'lubricity enhancer'".

Reply to
ivan

Have to point out that the process for lowering the sulpher content of todays diesel fuels does ruin the lubricant properties and most if not all good fuel suppliers use an additive to make up for this. We can't just rely on diesels own lubricant properties anymore as it's pretty useless once it's been processed.

Jonathan

I know for a fact that our local Sainsbury's PFS get deliveries from Esso, Shell, BP and Texaco refineries.

Also, Diesel has been know to have 'trace elements' added to the fuel by road haulage companies to stop drivers knicking the diesel to put in their own cars.

Kevin B

Reply to
Kevin B

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "SimonJ" saying something like:

Modern ultra-low sulphur diesel is considerably less kind to the fuel pump than older diesel. So much so that when ULSD was introduced there was a spate of buggered injection pumps on trucks and much shit hit fan.

The fuel blenders now add lubricants to the fuel to make up for the lack of lubricity of the ULSD. Some use 2% biodiesel in the mix, making use of biodiesel's superior lubricity.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Wouldn't they have the same traceelements if they filled up from a pump that had trace elements in it?

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

No, these trace elements are specific to the company requesting them. I worked for a road haulage company that had their own diesel tanks because they used so much every week it was cheaper to buy in bulk.

Kevin B

Reply to
Kevin B

I had a Golf GTi (1600) that used to pink badly at times. After months of checking all the parts & replacing everything in sight, I confirmed it was Tesco petrol. Fill up there; it pinked. Anywhere else; it didn't. I was told that Tesco's buy for the lowest possible price & will accept petrol that is right at the bottom of the specification tolerance that Shell etc. won't take. (This seems to match some of their other 'own brand' products.) OTOH, other cars I've owned don't mind it. I don't think it makes a difference unless you have an engine that is right on the verge of pinking anyway; this might tip it over the edge. For myself if a dealer that I trusted, without an axe to grind, advised this I'd pay the extra penny or two per litre just in case. Dave

Reply to
Dave