Auris diesel vs i30 diesel?

Am looking at buying a used diesel at around the 100K mark - either Toyota Auris 2.0 D-4D or Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi.

If both have had recommended services with no excessive gaps, which would be the lowest risk and is there anything in particular to look out for on either?

Reply to
Calcite

I seriously considered a three year old i30 estate about 5 years years ago. An attraction was that this engine met the standards of the time without a dpf. The Kia Ceed is essentially the same car with harder seats. For other reasons (mainly access height) I went with a Nissan Note (E11) with the 1.5 cr diesel. Grey in all respects, but careful recording has confirmed 59.something mpg over the years. Two road springs, two air-con condensers, and two tyres in 25000 miles are all its needed.

Reply to
Kevin

so you need a timing belt, water pump and auxiliary belt asap

Reply to
MrCheerful

I can understand springs as nearly all cars made in Europe have lowest price springs made in East Europe.

But why the 2 air con condensers? I've got a 25 year old car that still has pressure in the air con (but not enough and it's R12 so no one will touch it - might have propane (R290 and R600a) in it). Do you tail gate quarry / road stone lorries, do gravel rallies?

If the grill doesn't stop stones fit a wire mesh in front of it.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Timing belt after just 25,000 miles?

Reply to
Fredxx

I wasn't clear enough: that's in my ownership: 50-odd K total, in 8 years.

It's on the list to be done if I still have the car in spring.

Reply to
Kevin

No.

I was going to do that after the first one, but then...

I didn't expect to keep the car long after the first replacement. These are about the only jobs (apart from a flywheel change on a post-war Rolls-Royce) that I've entrusted to a garage in 50+ years of car ownership, so I'm naturally suspicious about how well the job was done.

I've sorted out a piece of expanded metal, but not yet the tuit.

Reply to
Kevin