Bendix Rear drum brakes

Checked rear brakes today and I have leaking wheel cylinder , which is ok and should be straightforward provided I can free all the blasted nuts.

However, the small spring holding the top section of the brake shoe tight against the backplate has come loose.

On inspection, the hook fixing on the backplate is corroded.

It's hard to tell if this is a part that can be replaced. Can anyone help out with solution?

Reply to
flash

2 points:

often there is no need to remove the shoes to change cylinders.

if you are talking about the type of retainer which is a sort of beehive spring with a hook end, pointy top innermost that is sort of waved sideways through a hole/under a hook, then usually the bit in the back plate is a removable piece that comes with a spring kit, it could easily be fabricated if diffcult to source.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

---------------

-----------------

Hi

Thanks. It is the beehive spring and it popped out when I removed the drum. I looked at the rear of the backplate and it looks like a square section - quite large relative to the size of the hook at the front. Hard to tell if is a welded bit or not.Does it drift out or lever out to put in a replacement?

Would a motor factor have the bits?

Appreciate the info

thanks

Reply to
flash

The bit that fits through the hole is a bit like a washer with a c shape fixed to it.

A good spares shop will sell a kit of springs including these bits.

You could always remove another to get a pattern to show.

If desparate I have probably got one or two in the brake spares bits box

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Dunno about the Bendix setup, but on my Lada, and probably on a lot of other types too, if you pull the drum off and then yank the handbrake on as far as it will go, it pulls the shoes far enough away from the cylinder that you can then get the cylinder out without needing to disturb anything else. Then, just drop the new cylinder in, release the handbrake, refit the drum and bleed it. Makes it a much easier job than battling with return springs ("Using a pair of long nose pliers, unhook the return spring...")

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Ruth

Thanks Brian. Thats a really useful tip.

The brake shoe retaining spring requires either a special tool or grind a slot in a screwdriver in order to both take out the spring and put it back in place. An alternative may be a security bit that is part of set that I have. It is usually used for tamperproof fastening for bits of electrical equipment that the manufacturer doe not want you to open up, mostly for very good reasons.

However, I can not fasten the spring to the backplate as the hook bit on the plate is corroded.Anyone know where I can get a replacement, provided that it can be replaced of course!

Reply to
flash

buy or make one or use a standard type retainer off, say, a late metro

Reply to
mrcheerful

Really appreciate the offer. Managed to get a fixing kit from a motor factor. I now have an incredible array of different kinds of springs that I will probably never use !

Trouble with rear drum brakes is that the shoes never wear out. I had an original pair on a 10 year car with 120K on the clock. The car got written off before the brake shoes. I have never fitted new brake shoes on any car I have owned (and I check wear on a regular basis)

Anyway, all sorted. Next trial is the MOT.

Reply to
flash