Blocking EGR valves. Environmental vandalism or a good idea?

I've read quite a few reports of folk deliberately disabling their car's EGR systems to improve slow speed running, power, economy, love life, in fact just about everything. ;-)

How bad an idea is this from the environmental side of things? Assuming that one doesn't care about this, are there any other downsides (assuming that you can do it in a way that doesn't flag up ECU warnings)?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oops, shoulda said that I'm just interested in Diesel engine EGR. Don't know if petrol engine do it these days but thought I ought to clarify.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Petrols have done it for years - I was very tempted to block it off on the old 1990 Saab...

But you're right that it's diesels which give all the problems.

Have a read of this...

that-evil

Reply to
Adrian