BMW 525 TDS Auto Where to fill the box!!!!

1994

Automatic gearbox top up (Unable to find a dipstick like most other auto boxes) We Need to top up the box !!!!!

We have a light come on the Dashboard normally E or D but now when hot E &D go out and in between orange lamp comes on with what looks like a Cog with a ! mark and ideas.

Thanks in advance

mike

Reply to
Ticker

Never worked on one, but Autodata CD tells me that there is a drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox. Follow the join in the casing around to the side from this - nearside if I read the illustration right, and on the opposite side of the join (ie to the rear), and you should find another similar-sized plug at 90 degrees to the drain plug - this is the filler plug. I've emailed you a picture. Where no dipstick is provided the usual technique is to fill to the level of the drain plug, although I make no promises for a BMW!

If you feel like completely draining and refilling the transmission, which is an item on the major service schedule anyway, it takes 3 litres of Dexron II ATF.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The message from Chris Bolus contains these words:

Though this is not true of Renault autoboxen, many of which have no dipstick.

Reply to
Guy King

Need to be checked via software and computer at running temp and pressure ( pain in the arse )

Reply to
Hirsty's

Hirsty's ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh. For. Fuck's. Sake.

Have ALL manufacturers gone completely mad?

Reply to
Adrian

This reminded me of something that one of the butchers in my local Tesco told me recently: his weighing scales went wrong a couple of weeks ago and the cure was.....a new hard drive!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

The message from Adrian contains these words:

I'm dreading the day when I have to buy a halfway modern car 'cos all the proper ones have worn out.

Reply to
Guy King

Just wait until all mainstream cars have multiplexed electrics!

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Is there much left that hasn't?

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Guy King writes

On the plus side, obtaining parts will be easier once every car on the road is a thinly disguised VW Golf.

Reply to
Steve Walker
[...]

No, probably not.

By "mainstream" I was really meaning cars of an age that they would be more likely to be owner-maintained. This really will be a problem in the future.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan