Brake pedal excessive travel

Car: 1991 Polo G40 (Supercharged 1.3)

Just bought this car recently, plan to have a look at the brakes over the weekend as there is a lot of travel on the brake pedal before anything happens. Brakes seem reasonable (but not great) at that point. They *are* servo assisted on this model unlike many polos.

I suspect the auto-adjusters on the rear drums have siezed. It appears to have last had the shoes replaced about 3 years / 30,000 miles ago according to the service history. Front discs and pads replaced last year.

I plan to replace the rear shoes and free up the auto-adjusters, however has anyone got any other suggestions for likely causes for excessive pedal travel?

Many thanks,

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

In message , Alan writes

"They all do that, Sir"

The G40 has a reputation for crap brakes. Sniffing around on Google, some people claim that right hand drive models have a smaller servo than LHD cars.

If you're going to spend any time/money looking at this, it might be worth doing some research into uprating them. It looks to be fairly common practice amongst G40 owners.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve,

I also have a 1L polo of similar vintage (both Mk3 shape) without servo assist and there is little pedal travel on that before the brakes some on. I'd have expected the G40 to be similar on pedal travel and have better braking performance being servo assisted. Both cars will weigh about the same after all. The replacement discs fitted to the front a year ago are grooved with "green stuff" pads according to an invoice I've found. Probably an attempt by the previous owner to uprate them!

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

There's an easy way to check if it's the adjusters.

Drive down the road and slowly apply the handbrake until it just begins to slow the car then back it off a notch. Now try the footbrake and see if it feels better.

Reply to
Conor

Conor,

Will give that a go, thanks.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Yes bujt that doesn't mean the compliance in the braking systems the same, if you don't need a servo then the location of the master cylinders a lot more open to choice.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

FFS you post some shit. B

--

me

Think it's caused by the RHD conversion - the cheapskates use a mechanical link rather than moving the master cylinder, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Doesn't make any difference on my SD1 which is notorious for lazy adjusters. Push the footbrake *hard* a few times with the car stopped usually moves them - till the next time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Possibly but that wotks.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Istr some Mk2 Escorts had the same. German built LHD layout and a hefty rod across the back of the engine bay for the RHD.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

MK1 Astra suffered the same fate.

Reply to