Brake pedal travel

Gents

406 1.9TD with ABS I have just replaced the rear cylinders with their fixed brake hoses, front pads,disks, front flexible hoses and master cylinder.

Before starting I disconnected the battery to protect the ABS. I have bled the brakes front and back and cannot get any more air out 1.5 litres fluid used. The pedal is now back to the top of its travel with the engine off. When the engine is switched on for a few minutes the pedal dips (I would expect this as the servo starts to operate). Can any one give me any idea how much pedal travel there should be when the pedal is pressed before it becomes solid when the engine is running. Thanks Mike

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

If you keep your foot on the pedal it will gradually go all the way down this is because the abs unit will keep recycling the fluid if it feelsok on the road and stops ok then its probably ok

Reply to
Mindwipe

Not sure what the official measurement or travel is,but I would consider 20% of the total pedal movement as the max, on the other hand, you could have a perfect braking effort on all wheels, but 50% travel in the pedal movement, I think this is what MOT testers would call excessive pedal travel

Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Midwipe

The pedal travel with engine off and vacuum for servo exhausted is .5 inch taking up mechanical slack There is then another .5 inch of pedal travel until the pedal is solid. This is what I would expect. With the engine running the pedal dips about 1 inch when your foot is on the pedal and the engine started. If you keep pushing the pedal it goes down to within 1 inch of the floor before being totally solid again. I don't think this is due to the ABS as you cannot hear or feel it operating. If I brake with one road wheel on the grass verge at 40 MPH you can feel and hear the ABS working.

I guess this is OK as I took the car for an MOT yesterday and it passed without problems. I usually test the brake pedal before switching the engine on but I don't think I have tested it with the engine running previously. I am very light on brakes as my rear shoes have done 70K and are still at

3.5mm and I have just changes front pads and disks at 70K and the pads were not even half warn.

Thanks for all your help I was expecting the pedal to be firm a lot further up its travel with the engine running.

Mike

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE