Breaking another cars widow re: Parking

Recently i heard of an idiot who parked in a car park such that another car could not get out. Is it over the top to dial 999 and if so would the police or fire brigade do anything? What is the liability and likely costs if a window was broken and the obstructing car pushed out of the way?

Reply to
john west

I've often wondered if removing an obstruction and causing damage in the process could be called "wilful damage" if there was a perceived liability exceeding the cost of repairing any damage.

One issue remaining is moving a car requires insurance, and permission from the owner or driver.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Yes, 999 is for danger to life or limb, so no, they wouldn't do anything.

Reply to
Davey

There are some videos on YouTube of people pushing cars out of the way by nudging their own cars into them, until there is enough room for them to get out.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Absolutely wrong to dial 999 for this.

It depends to some degree on where the car park is, but most would be on private property (even if, for example, a public car car run by the council). Any obstruction to your vehicle would then be a civil matter, and is nothing to do with the police.

It might be appropriate to call the police on 111 if, for example, any altercation occurred that may be deemed to lead to a breach of the peace, or threatening behaviour.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Davey posted

Rubbish.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

The police should only be called on 999 when: ?There is a danger to life or a risk of injury being caused imminently. Examples include serious road accidents, assaults or serious disorders. ?A crime is in progress. Examples include assault, burglary, and theft or if an offender is still on scene, or has just left the scene. ?Police attendance is required immediately such as to prevent a breach of peace, someone acting suspiciously or someone who is about to commit an offence.

Do not call 999 for calls, which are not an emergency. It will tie up an operator and delay a police response to someone who may actually require the police, but is unable to get through.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Taking and driving away requires permission (and insurance).

Pushing is not quite in the same league.

Reply to
JNugent

I've had a few numpties parked over my drive exit over the years. Each time I've phoned up the police, they have helpfully tried to contact the owner if a phone number came up on their system.

I was warned NOT to move the car, as any damage could rebound on me. It would be up to me to take civil action if it could be proved I suffered a material loss due to their action.

It is recognised that thoughtless people like that often have other "issues" and in one case, it flagged up something on the PNC and the owner was collared for some other transgression which was a result of sorts.

Reply to
Steve