New method of combatting clamping

David>

We'll he'd make a better job of Mayor of London than Ken Livingstone.

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"

But you can't argue he doesn't have style.

Reply to
David French

Is this not encouraging anarchy by acts of criminal damage?

Smashing publicity stunt, but I still think the guy's a complete tw4t.

Reply to
Mother

Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Bollocks to the law! I carry a small oxy-propane cutting kit in the back of my recovery truck for such occasions.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Owning a series 3 with 8-spoke wheels and big fat tyres is a good way of avoiding clamping. I was parked on some land where illegal clampers were clamping all the vehicles, but they couldn't fit their clamp around my wheels so I got away with it!

It made my day, it did!!

Paul

Reply to
Pacman

Hang on, he's built himself and his many hundreds of civil servants a lovely glass office block on the banks of the Thames with superb views over the City of London. Just proves he really cares about ordinary tax paying Londoners.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

It's 'criminal damage' because (I'll assume) he cut a clamp not belonging to him. I'm totally with you on the seemingly unjust nature of the original event causing his now very public course of action(s), however this does not make it 'right'. I hope I don't sound prudish, but there have been occasions over the last year or so where I've had to physically restrain 'the family' (or certain Medieval members of) from cutting the bollocks of a certain well documented nemesis of mine. That wouldn't have been right, neither is AGM in his actions.

The choice - for all of us, is quite simple; Work within (and try to change - should we find we don't like) the structures of the society within which we exist, or...

Anarchy.

(I used to believe in Anarchy).

Reply to
Mother

You could argue that he's caught the fashion, but 'fashion' is so commonly confused with 'style', IMO and all that...

Reply to
Mother

I carry - and did actually once use, a 4' bolt cropper to remove a clamp whilst on a perfectly legit call to a customer. The clamping firm agreed it was an illegal clamp (I posted here about it at the time) and also said they couldn't get anyone to remove it for at least an hour. I called the customer and told him I was going to remove it, "fine" was the response, so I did.

I do however feel that this is somewhat different to an orchestrated and publicity seeking campaign to break the law. I've made my thoughts better in my previous response in this thread. It doesn't make it 'right', even if the circumstances are clearly 'wrong'.

Reply to
Mother

Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Working anarchy depends on social pressure. Usenet comes close, but it has been an unusually long September...

"Criminal Damage" is _very_ broadly defined. I gather that just lifting a gate off its hinges is Criminal Damage.

Reply to
David G. Bell

in article snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk, "David G. Bell" at snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk wrote on 14/2/04 9:34 am:

So it would be criminal damage if I moved the car blocking my driveway with mine so I could get out? This person has persistantly parked there every week for the past three weeks whislt in the Working Mens Club two doors away, been asked to move it somewhere else and not to park there again, but still does. It's not like I can even squeeze the Range Rover through the gap between his bumper and the bus stop either.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

I suspect the police would probably see it that way, yes.

The trick would be, of course, to make sure that 2 of yours are outside the drive when this plonker is expected to arrive and box him in *tight* - less than a millimetre between his ending and yours starting.

Do this a few times and he might get the message.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Anarchy?

Anarchy has one major failing point. Who'd empty the bins :(

Neil

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

In news:BC53DD54.2697% snipped-for-privacy@ntlorld.com, Nikki Cluley sprayed:

Make a complaint to the local constabulary on the lines of it obstructing the highway. Also check it is taxed if not get it crushed!

Reply to
GbH
[snip]

I was involved in a similar experience recently with a parked car blocking an entrance, Admittedly the parked car may not actually be illegally parked but was nonetheless obstructing private access.

One legal way to ensure they won't park in your space is to let their tyres down, Apparently it is not a criminal offence to let the air out of car tyres because it's only air after all and the tyres can be pumped up again without incurring any damage.

After experiencing this major inconvenience they won't park there again.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

I admit to being witness to a similar situation - my friends (not me of course) found a car parked in their private parking space, off to the side of a road, at an angle. They pulled it back out into the middle of the road, pushed it down the hill a bit and called the police, saying it had appeared there and they thought it had been joyridden...

It was pretty obvious what had happened, but the police took a generous view of the situation.

Under the circumstances Nikki mentioned, can you tow the car away? What if it is on private property?

David

Reply to
David French

in article c0lja3$18mf76$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-169718.news.uni-berlin.de, Paul S. Brown at snipped-for-privacy@geekstuff.co.uk wrote on 14/2/04 4:45 pm:

What a shame. I'd love to shove it out of the way with the Range Rover, that's if I could start the sodding thing(starter motors gone on it) Its parked again there now.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley