Car selling - ebay?

I've decided to get rid of my old car. Skoda Octavia estate 1999, 132k, good condition throughout, the lacquer top coat peeling off the bonnet is the only cosmetic blemish.
Anyway, tax and test are both due soon. So that'll be £175 to get them done. Scrap value is £150, and they come and take it away, with no input from me (I'm all for an easy life!) Presumably it would be better to sell with 6mths tax and 1yr MOT
To make it worthwhile to sell, it's got to go for £500+.
Where to sell it - ebay? Start with 99p, or start at £500? I want it gone rather than sitting here for another month. Any thoughts? Thanks Alan.
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 01:19:31 -0600, A.Lee wrote:

Diesel? Petrol?

MOT yes, tax - I wouldn't bother.

That really shouldn't be an issue!

99p. No reserve. It'll set it's own value.

Local paper? Supermarket/newsagent?
Something like that should sell easily.
On 26/01/2014 08:52, Adrian wrote:

Only a fool goes near ebay

There does seem to be something strange about buying/selling a car on Ebay that simply doesn't apply to most other things.
--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

I did well with the Lexus I bought on ebay, pretty near perfect, no existing problems when delivered and has been excellent for the last 9 years.
On Sunday 26 January 2014 15:39 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.rec.cars.maintenance:

The main reason I would start with Autotrader as a buyer is
a) it's the defacto place to look in many people's minds;
b) selling nothing but vehicles and the search options are excellent. Unlike ebay. In fact the complete opposite to ebay. Autotrader is not going to try to sell you a Haynes Manual, an air filter or a model Octavia ;->

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal

I'd say you're wrong these days - most people seem to head for eBay and the eBay-owned Gumtree.
--
SteveH

On Sunday 26 January 2014 17:48 SteveH wrote in uk.rec.cars.maintenance:

Most people *I* know would assume a car on ebay would be dodgy.
That's the problem with anecdotal stats! ;->
I wonder if anyone has ever done a study...

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
Just Another Person wrote:

It's just a shop window - nothing to lose really. Sellers have no recourse to leave -ve feedback if you turn up and it's a shed[1] and then walk. They're not going to want paying via PayPal anyway so they can't take the money and run.
I "won" a four year old ex-fleet S-Type via ebay auction from a trader 6 or 7 years ago now (BuyItNow hadn't been invented then!) and the process was turn up, be shown it and if I didn't like it, I was under no obligation to buy it. Bought it happily even though I was narked after finding a fault in the HVAC half way home - but could have been the same if I'd bought it through Autotrader etc.
--
Scott

Adrian wrote:

Petrol.

I'm not so sure, seeing Trader ads for saloon versions at £500, maybe they are not in good condition, but they look OK in the pics.

Which was the view on a similar query on another forum yesterday - the opinion was that £400 - 700 cars sell easily, and they generally go for more than expected on ebay. On a fixed price Autotrader ad, the buyer tries to knock the price down, on ebay, there is always someone (hopefully), that will pay £20+ more,
Thanks for all the replies, it'll be MOT'd next week, probably taxed too, just so that I can use it, then put on ebay in Mid-Feb.
--
Alan.

From what little I know of Ebay car selling, many appear to sell then are re-listed. Suggesting a lot of people bid on them - then fail to complete. (This applies to a one make classic car I follow on Ebay) Relisted due to timewaster seems to be a common phrase.
--
*I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.*

Sadly, 'relisted due to inaccurate description' is usually more truthful!
--
SteveH

Oh indeed. One side seems to deserve the other. ;-)
It's all really quite different from most of Ebay - or rather for the sort of things I buy (and sell) on it.
Although I did once have a chancer when I sold some Matchbox models for a friend. Car, of course.
--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 01:19:31 -0600, A.Lee wrote:

As long as you are sure it will pass, MOT it, then advertise it locally for a couple of weeks. If no interest, you still have the eBay option.
If you are really in a rush to get rid of it, MOT it, advertise it locally and put it on eBay at the same time with the stated condition that you reserve the right to withdraw it if sold elsewhere.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Sunday 26 January 2014 07:19 A.Lee wrote in uk.rec.cars.maintenance:

Autotrader. It's still the first place a lot of people look for a car.
I would also use that as a price guide - a quick look suggests theer are

not for much more.
Add "ono" if you're prepared to haggle.
There's also Parkers for price estimating, but
IME the best way to get a quick sale is price realistically, clean and hoover it, wax with some Colour Magic (corny old trick, but it works!) and take some *decent* pictures inside and out in good light.
If your dash is faded, quick wipe with a bit of Armorall.
I did that with a not particularly special Daewoo Lanos and had it sold in a few days - about 8-10 phone calls IIRC, sold to one of the first 3.

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
On 26/01/2014 10:41, Tim Watts wrote:

A guy on a main road used to sell many cars, he put a price in the screen, if it did not go in a couple of days the price went down a little, and went down day by day till it found a buyer, nothing stayed for more than about a week. I nearly bought an AMC Pacer from him, I was waiting for it to go down just another few quid, but someone else got it, probably good for me in the long term !!
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 10:59:58 +0000

snip

Absolutely! Not sure why you were even considering it, unless the only other option was a Gremlin, or maybe a Ford Pinto.
--
Davey.

On 26/01/2014 11:14, Davey wrote:

I just like quirky cars, and that was! If I had the facilities I would be building a Dymaxion.
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 11:42:27 +0000

Strong understatement.
--
Davey.

On Sunday 26 January 2014 10:59 Mrcheerful wrote in uk.rec.cars.maintenance:

That reminds me - never underestimate the value of a couple of signs in the car saying For Sale and a price and mobile number. I sold a complete rustbucket Maxi (at a rustbucket price) like that once.

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal