Clattery Corsa C at startup

This seems to be problem that is occuring more and more but I have yet to see a definitive answer to it.

Starting up from cold this one give a brief clatter. After a few seconds it is fine.

Changing the oil filter (genuine Vauxhall) shuts the clatter down to

1 second for a few months then it goes back up to 5 seconds.

I suspect that what is happening is that the oil is draining away from the head for some reason and that once pressure is build up things are fine.

What should stop the oil draining from the head while the engine is cold? The car is on a 52 plate.

Thanks for any help

Reply to
Roger Lodger

If all the oil changes have been done 'by the book' with the right oil, then the answer is to change the tappet that loses pressure. It is usual to change the whole lot.

If it has missed any services or has Tesco oil in it, then the first step would be a change of oil/filter every three months using the right stuff, with luck that will clear it.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks I bought the car second hand with no history so I dont think its been looked after or serviced. I'm going to try changing the oil a few times before I get too involved. Any idea if there is any special tool to get the sump drain plug undone?

Thanks

Reply to
Roger Lodger

Yes it's called a spanner.

Take a look at the camshaft through the oil filler hole as it's very common in my experience for vauxhall cams to wear almost round.

Reply to
adder1969

IIRC it is a torx key for those. about size 50, but don't quote me on that, it is the sort of thing that when one comes in for an oil change I just have a look and pick the right tool, I wouldn't remember for sure as there are so many variations these days and when you work on many makes they blur !!

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks but wouldn't a worn cam mean the noise was there all the time the engine was running, not just at startup?

Reply to
Roger Lodger

No. The idea of hydraulic tappets is that they take up the wear.

Reply to
Conor

What engine?

If it's only at start-up, then I wouldn't be too concerned. It's only when the rattling continues past start-up that I would start worrying.

Engines with hydraulic tappets can rattle a bit on start up from cold, but provided they settle down after a few seconds running, I personally wouldn't worry.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Thanks it's a 973cc Ecotech

Reply to
Roger Lodger

Ah!!

Are you totally sure it's the hydraulic tappets??

The 3 cylidners are well known for having cam chain / tensioner issues (tensioner is operated via oil pressure via small drillings) and lack of fresh oil can cause serious wear on the chain and tensioner unit.

If the chain wears / stretches any significant degree the tensioner plunger will pop out and mash the engine- and they do.

Have it checked again *carefully*.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for help everyone, especially Mr Clever. With nothing to lose I decided to give it a thorough oil change so went to Vauxhall and asked for 5w-30 and the guy said it was wrong oil and to put their

10W-40 semi-synth' in.

I was charged for an oil change 4k ago and to me it didn't look as if the sump plug had been undone. The oil coming out is black however.

The receipt just says "oil change" so I'm stuffed as to whether the correct oil went in.

I'm hoping I caught it in time, Just have to wait and see now.

The Torkz sump plug is a T45 BTW.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Roger Lodger

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:34:13 +0000, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Roger Lodger:

If the oil's been changed it should be a clear brown colour at the dipstick. Black is old oil in need of a change.

Reply to
Alex Buell

It amazes me why one oil is "correct" for one car but not another. In the good old days you just put in whatever your wallet could afford and whatever was suitable for the temperature. Also what *was* correct for a particular type of engine can easily change with new models (with the same engine) but the "correct" oil is the one recommended at manufacture.

Thinner oils mean more mpg and often that's a trade off. If the manufacturer wants great mpg figures you'll probably find the recommended oil is very thin.

Reply to
adder1969