Connecting a multimeter to a Micra coil

I'm wanting to check the rpm on a 1994 Nissan Micra with a Gunson's multimeter. There are 2 terminals which attach to the battery and a blue lead which needs to be attached to the coil. The coil on these cars is an integral part of the distributor and there are no visible +/- terminals to be seen.

Does anyone know how to attach the multimeter so that I can use the tachometer function?

Reply to
Raymond

Looks like you're not going to be able to.

Reply to
Conor

The coil on these cars must be tiny (well it's a tiny car :-) ) I wonder if the coil is that small metal cylinder thing sitting on top of the dist head? It has two wires coming out of it. (It looks a lit like a big condensor/capacito that used to be wired across the ignition points in the days of old. Anyway, I

***guess*** those two wires may be the equivelent of the CB and SW terminal on a more traditional system. If so, the CB wire may be the one you want. Please note this is all GUESSWORK on my part and may be total cobblers. Don't try it without confirming to you own satisfaction first.
Reply to
dave

If the coil is inside the distributor cap, you should be able to connect to the CB terminal:

Remove distributor cap, locate coil LT terminals, connect thin cable to CB terminal. Drill / cut small hole / notch in distributor cap, run thin cable through & replace cap. Connect your blue croc clip to end of cable...

Bob's your uncle.

Reply to
NT

You really think a 1994 car will have contact breakers?

Reply to
SimonJ

There are two plugs on the distributor, a 6 pin plug, and a 2 pin plug. Connect the blue lead to the rearmost pin on the 2 pin plug, (pin 7). You will probably have to use a thin piece of wire to probe into the back of the connector, and attach the blue lead to that. (Try a sewing needle, slid into the back of the plug next to the wire, make sure it has good contact)

Reply to
SimonJ

Thanks for this. It seems to be a great possibility and I'll certainly try it. Thanks to all the others who replied.

Reply to
Raymond