009 DISTRIBUTOR TIMING

Can someone assist me here. I have a stock 73 Thing with a 1600 dp motor...

I was chatting with a service centre who specializes in aircooled. He said to time a stock motor with a 009, you set it at 44 degres at 3500 RPM...which will end up being about 15 degrees BTDC static. Can anyone comfirm this...or just tell me how to time the motor with that distributor....and I do have a degree pully.

Thanks; Morgan

Reply to
Morgan Anderson

44 is what a double advance dizzy will give you with the vacuum full in. The 009 on a T1 engine is most often recomended to be set at 34-36 deg btdc @ 3500..

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

This is an archived page from Ken's defunct site:

44 deg is a LOT of advance. Run with that under load and you'll likely punch a hole in a piston top.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Jim347a

T4's are happy with 28 deg on an all mech dizzy(T1 likes more..), 5 deg at idle makes lazy, it is(they both are(T1 and T4)) actually way more happy with 10 or even 10 and a tad.. at idle.

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

so far there is no definitive answer....any other opinions out there?

Reply to
Morgan Anderson

Here's what I use: Adjust Timing ============= .009 distributor requires timing be set to 28-32° BTDC at 3000rpm. Remove the dist cap and statically time cylinder 1 to 7.5° BTDC. Replace the dist cap. Make sure timing marks on crankshaft pulley are obvious or painted. Attach strobe light (pickup on #1 plug wire, red wire to coil where choke and idle cutoff wires are attached.) Make SURE it doesn't come loose. Attack black wire to ground. Attach the dwell-tach meter as described above. If there are any vacuum hoses, plug them. Distributor adjustment screw should be slightly loose so we can change timing. Start engine, idle should be 850-900rpm as adjusted above. With car idling, adjust timing to 7.5° BTDC using strobe. Pull throttle lever to increase engine rpm to 3000. Check timing with strobe. Adjust to 28-32° BTDC at 3000rpm. Shut off engine and tighten dist adjustment screw. Restart engine and check timing at 3000rpm.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

If you haven't found a definitive answer, it's because there is none.

30 degrees is the most agreed upon benchmark but your engine might be different. I settled on 34 for a Berg-inspired 1776 with 7.1:1 CR and dual Dells after much trial and error. But I was also running a BP4061 cam. Every individual engine is different. The cam, CR, carb jetting all play a part. If you have a stock Solex carb, get an SVDA and pitch the 009. It will be the best investment you could make.

RT

Reply to
Raymond T. Lowe

What do you mean by that? You want the voice of God to tell you what's correct? Read Speedy Jim's posts. He knows better than God WTF is good for timing.

Reply to
2

I have "other" opinions.

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

to everyone....thanks.....i appreciate it...if there are other schools of thought on 009 timing feel free to post...I will check it

Reply to
Morgan Anderson

Reply to
Jim347a

If it is a definite answer you want, I think Speedy gave it to you: DO NOT GO TO 44 DEGREES.

I have a mild to strong 1915 street engine with 8:1 compression running on premium gas with engle 120 and 40mm webers.......CB performance recommended, and I agree, no more that 32 degrees max advance on the 009. I keep a margin, go at 30 degrees.

FIRE THE PEOPLE WHO TOLD YOU TO GO TO 44!!!!!

Reply to
<josephgliebe

fire the people that recommend premium fuel with 8:1 static compression with an engle 120....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

...........You should carefully read the Ken's Buggy Barn link that Speedy Jim posted. The information in that article is correct and should be followed...........................44 deg centrifical advance on a stock motor is ridiculous and will eventually ruin your engine if it hasn't already.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

.............I agree that it's OK to run 87 octane on an engine like that because of the valve timing overlap but the 93 octane stuff will only hurt you in the wallet and maybe rob some power and maybe make it run a littler hotter and........uh......maybe you're right.......fire 'em!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Tim!...where ya been?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

............Was down in Florida for a week and will in a day or two post a link to some pics of an alien intruder along with his accomplice that I came upon one evening at an Olive Garden.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Henderson

heh heh heh :)