Crank sensor Q?

was reading the above website which gives a good easy to understand explanation of what the various sensors do. Regarding the crank sensor it says: "After a period of time the sensor may loose some of its magnetic properties, this will reduce the electrical output and performance may suffer." I've heard a few people mention starting or running problems and been diagnosed a bad crank sensor. Now I have a magnetic thing I bought from Maplins which magnetises screwdrivers and was wondering if that would also work the same to boost a crank sensor magnetic properties if it's starting to lose its strength?

Reply to
Redwood

The pickup itself isn't magnetic - it senses a passing 'magnet'. So attempting to magnetise the sensor could stop it working altogether if successful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Last time I checked, flywheels weren't magnetic ;-)

The sensor does use a small magnet, which could lose some magnetism over a period of time, but the wound copper coil is far more likely to fail and go open circuit.

Reply to
moray

Ok cheers. Was wondering if this method could be a cheap & temporary fix in the event of a CS problem, but I guess not.

Reply to
Redwood

GM ones, at least, are.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Totally? Describe how they work. Or do you mean hall effect? If so not really possible to re-magnetise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well enough to make it want to stick to the crank pulley when I'm trying to align the wee bastarding single hole, single handed.

(And no, it's not the pulley that's magnetic 'cos it's stuck to other metally bits before)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts