Strange MPG figures

When researching something else I came across these figures from an '85 model year BL catalogue :-

The car is a Rover SD1 3500 carb. Urban 56 mph 75 mph

3500 manual 17.9 37.6 29.5 3500 auto 18.8 30.9 25.6

The auto box is a straightforward 3 speed with torque convertor - no lock up. The final drive ratio is the same - although the manual has an overdrive 5th gear.

Why would the auto get better figures in town? My thoughts are that a crude auto is at its worst, MPG wise, in town, with the TC churning away.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd have said that the MPG figures were extremely optimistic. In all the SD1's I ever owned, I never got 37MPG out of any of them despite owning everything from a 2300 to V8.

Reply to
Conor

It's at a constant 56 mph - not used today. The 75 mph figure seems about right though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

so you never had a 2 litre one ? You haven't lived, they were really gutless, despite a 4.6 to one diff (the useful bit I needed them for)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Conor wittered on forthwith;

I got somewhere around 35 mpg out of my SD1 Vitesse (manual) on a long run quite regularly.

As for auto vs manual transmission mpg in town it's not that unusual for old autos to be slightly better on fuel. The Mk2 Granada 2.8i auto is another example - IIRC the auto did something like 18.5 mpg (urban) and the manual was 17.8 or summat.

Reply to
Pete M

I drove one at a scrappies once. The motor was liberated and put in a Sherpa recovery truck where I swear it went quicker.

Reply to
Conor

The message from Conor contains these words:

My uncle used to make glider winches with V12 jag engines with auto boxes.

Reply to
Guy King

I don't remember them being that bad. A mate used to sell for Henleys and often brought their hire one home at a weekend. Auto too. It was nothing like as slow off the mark as you'd think - but I never drove it out of town.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Larger engined autos tend to change up at more economical revs while in a manual there's a tendancy to rev a bit more? In any case what was the procedure for arriving at the results?

Reply to
adder1969

You're missing the point, though: that's a snapshot at a constant 56 mph. You would have to drive at a constant 56 mph on a level road to obtain this. Most machines obtain somewhere between the 56 and 75 mph on a run.

Reply to
DervMan

Hmm. Gearing maybe: wasn't the old Urban figure achieved by accelerating up to 30 mph (or close) as quickly as possible and then coasting down? Perhaps the automatic reaches 30 in first and then it'll effectively be idling on the way down. The manual perhaps needs second... and isn't as economical on the way down?

Also, these are test bench figures; in town the automatic may have chewed more fuel, just, it's urban figure is flattering.

Reply to
DervMan

Whether a manual transmission has a better mpg figure than an auto hinges on how often there are gear shifts in the test. In a run of constant speed, the power interrupt in gear shifting is non-existent. Here, an automatic is unaffected but it lags behind by virtue of its unavoidable power slippage. In an urban cycle, however, the disparaging effect of the accumulative power interrupts in a manual drive, if the number of gear shifts is high enough, overwhelms its superiority of non-existent or minimal power slippage.

A hint of this power play afforded by a manual and an automatic is in this article where the design philosophy of an automated manual transmission is explained.

Lin Chung