Electriconics - Dim Dip & Relay switching for headlights

My Golf (MK2) has dim dip. Golfs also have naff headlamp wiring, and I'd like to put in a better loom and fit high wattage lamps. However, this needs a relay. And if you use a relay, it gets tripped by the dim dip system.

Is there a trick to stop a relay seeing the dim dip so that I can have high wattage bulbs without losing dim dip? My GCSE electronics seems to have escaped me :).

Reply to
Doki

If it has dim-dip surely it already uses relays? If the original wiring is marginal for (illegal) higher wattage lamps, can you not just rewire what is already there?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

God knows (though I strongly suspect it does). I should get a new haynes manual that covers the CE2 electrics. I assume it already uses relays, but all the circuit diagrams going round the golf websites are based around fitting extra relays and wiring. The original wiring is marginal for bog standard lamps - IIRC reading of a couple of volts drop from one end of the wire to the other.

Reply to
Doki

Easiest option is just to disconnect the dim-dip relay.

***
Reply to
M Cuthill

I saw some detailed tests of headlight bulbs (sorry, I lost the link) a few months ago and Osram Silverstar normal wattage bulbs were brighter than 100w normal bulbs, they were also as bright as HID lamps but over a smaller lit area on the road.

It's still worth fixing your wiring with normal wattage bulbs, half a volt lost has quite an effect on brightness, 2v is catastrophic.

I bodged the dim dip on my last car by shorting out the bulb earth wire to the chassis nearby, this had the effect of disabling the dim dip but it gained me 1v with the headlights on normally and were much brighter. I had to remove the short for each MOT though.

Reply to
SteveB

i wouldn't have worried, we dont test dim dip :o)

Reply to
reg

SteveB (sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A good start.

And it just gets better - That's not a bodge. That's what the bloody manufacturer should have done in the first place.

Why?

Reply to
Adrian

Came across this little gem. For Audis but should be adaptable:

Conor

If I remember right, I got full strength dip beam in the parking light position with the engine running. Something strange happened anyway, so I thought it best not to confuse the MOT tester.

Reply to
SteveB