Escort fusebox.

My brother's one is giving trouble. He bought a secondhand one, but it's got different faults.

He's flying down from Scotland next week and in a fit of madness suggested he brings one with him and I'd fix it. What's involved? ;-) I've never actually seen one. Has it got a printed circuit board within?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure if they are all the same, but the last '97 one I fixed was two pcbs facing each other with through pins, IYSWIM. On that one the bad solder joins were all on the visible faces so easy to fix. Bit of a pain if you have to separate the boards though :(

Lee

Reply to
Lee

The message from Lee contains these words:

Don't. Just work out what's wrong inside from first principles (and a circuit diagram) and fit external wire links.

Reply to
Guy King

Not with my magic desoldering station...;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Great. Is there a diagram available on the net anywhere?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

The few times I've had to do it I've used the one in the Haynes manual and inferred what's inside the box from the external connections and the effects of the faults.

But then I've got plenty of time to spare. And a brain the size of a planet.

And sore diodes.

Reply to
Guy King

The Pace one? I remember you posting about it a while back :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

No - finally made one. It uses a Pace handset, though, for desoldering, and my favourite Antex for soldering with two handsets to cut down on bit changing. The pump is an industrial unit. I'm rather proud of it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sometimes the best tools are the ones you make yourself :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Trouble was it wasn't the right one for his model. I foolishly assumed that they would all be variations on the same theme with just bits missing from the PCB as is common with most electronics, and I could upgrade it. But the PCB appears to be individual to each model variation - although the outside casing is common.

He's now bought a fourth one which seems to work, so I'll get the original sent down for repair.

He only paid a fiver each for all of them complete, which seems good value

- you'd pay more for just the fuses from Halfords. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)