VW Scirocco footwell is tearing under pressure from the clutch.

I have a 1992 GTII VW Scirocco.

The footwell metal has begun to slowly tear under use and the cable tension is fading. This is not good. I'm thinking about fibre-glassing it and making a little space for the clutch's rubber bit to sit in . Does anyone know of a quicker or better way, or if this will work.

Much obliged.

Bri

Reply to
brian

Just get it welded, it should be under £50 & it's a lot cheaper than the recovery when it finally gives up.

Reply to
DuncanWood

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, brian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

They all do that.

Better off welding a bit of pipe to a square plate and welding that in instead. Any competant welderiser should be able to do it. Fibreglass won't last 5 minutes.

Reply to
Pete M

with

With respect, they don't *all* do it. I've had many of these cars and not one has shown this problem.

It is common however, and if you can't get the welding done there is a kit available to repair this area...

check this

DocDelete

In news:419f528f$0$43586$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net, DocDelete decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I've known many of these cars and only ever seen one that didn't have the problem. It was LHD, of course.

Reply to
Pete M

Strange. I've had two (really old and knackered) 1.6GT cars, '88 GTX, '84 GTS and a '92 GT2 and not one showed any sign of this - even the 175,000 mile car! And, I mean, I *really* looked, having read about this problem on t'internet.

Not saying it doesn't happen, just that there may be more to it than just poor routing of the clutch - perhaps something wrong with the clutch / release fork itself on some cars? Or poor installation of a replacement clutch. All of the above cars had the original clutch in them.

By far the worst trait of the "conversion" to RHD is that bloody dodgy transverse brake rod contraption to operate the servo - talk about wasted mechanical movement. Short of redesigning the engine bay, this bastard thing needs beefing up to remove flex. The standard vented brakes are really quite good - I wonder how many Boy Wonders spend oodles on brake upgrades just to compensate for this piece of crap design?

Reply to
DocDelete