exhaust smoke on low mileage car

Hi all. A pal of mine has just bought a car at auction: 2001 Toyota MR2 with 6K on the clock. He said that when the car was started to bring it into the sales hall, it pumped out a plume of blue smoke. Is there any non-sinister reason that a new-ish car with low miles would do this? The oil hasn't been changed ever, so could that have something to do with it? (although according to the service book, it only needs doing ever 2 years, so it's just due for a service/ oil change now).

Regards, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh

That car sounds decidely dodgy.2 years old with 6000 miles doesnt sound true, unless it has been parked up for most of that time. Then to have blue smoke at that low a mileage.Blue smoke is usually a sign of the bores/pistons/rings being worn.6k miles, and the engine should be run in, so the smoke cant be attributed to needing running in. A cylinder pressure check would be the first thing I'd do.You'll know then if it has internal engine damage. Also, why was it being auctioned? Its not the type of car that Fleet buyers put up for auction, and it is quite a sought after car,so if sold privately would get a lot more than the auction price. Depending what he paid for it, it may be worthwhile, even if it needs an engine rebuild. Alan.

Reply to
A.lee

The car was one of several up for sale by a lease company, so nothing particularly suspicious about it being up for auction. The miles were "warranted", but I guess whoever leased the car may have wound them back without the lease Co knowing? Pretty straightforward these days. Having said that, the vehicle does appear to be in the kind of condition you would expect of a 2yo/ 6K miles car. IME, the big giveaway with high mileage, clocked cars is usually the stone chips on the bonnet which accumulate with miles rather than age; there are none on this motor.

regards, Jim

Reply to
Jim Walsh

Thought BMW were king of the long service intervals, but IIRC they say change every year if it doesn't need doing before.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yeah, I was surprised at that. I haven't actually seen the service book, but the few manufacturers' manuals I have looked at recently say change the oil annually regardless of mileage. I guess the oil must accumulate enough water and unburnt fuel to warrant it, especially during regular short trips on full choke (which a car such as this 2yo/6K miles example has probably had)..

Regards, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh

Perhaps it's been used by someone as their track day car. Would explain the low mileage. Unlikely I know, but then so is blue smoke from a 2yo/6K miles car.

Reply to
Johnny