Fiat cambelt

Hi I have just bought a splendid Fiat Marea at a car auction! It is basically the same as a brava or bravo. Its done 65K miles so it might be due a cambelt change (its a powerful 1.6 16v vroomer!). There is a yellow paint dot ontop of the engine near the cambelt cover. Does this mean it has been done before?

Thanks Craig

Reply to
Craig

Never take any such thing for granted, especially on a Fiat. These are notoriously bad for premature belt failures, and the 1.6 is the biggest pig of a job too. Most mechanics would rather do the 20v cambelt.

Not even most main dealers have the tools to do the belts on the 1.6, as they need a unique aligning tool.

They are due by 72k if it hasn't been done, but we always recommended a change before 48k. You're also advised to replace all the tensioner and idler pulleys, and maybe the water pump too.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

I agree with Andy on this as well.

Reply to
reg

Yeah, looks like I need to put it into a garage. I phoned the last owner up and she didnt have a clue really. I mean she never even replaced the rear wiper blade and its scored the window. She did get a new exhast in Jan and some new tyres a year ago so its not all bad. Need to get an oil change too quickly, the oil filter is rusty! Any idea how much kwik fir charges for an oil change?

Thanks Chaps.

Reply to
Craig

About 28 quid for semi-synthetic (Mobil 1 I believe they use).

Hellraiser.........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

National Tyres are charging 20 quid at the moment, using Duckhams QXR semi-synthetic.

Reply to
Carl Bowman