Fiesta 1.25 Ghia Power Steering

Hi, got a problem with the power steering on my sister's car.

Being my sister she was not too conscientious about checking fluid levels and before she knew it the power steering stopped working. It turned out the reservoir was bone dry, all the fluid having leaked out of a pipe which runs between the power steering pump and the steering rack.

For those of you familiar with this car there are two pipes which must be bought as a set, one as described above and the other, a return pipe, which carries the fluid from the steering rack back to the reservoir.

There are two problems.

1=2E The new set of pipes costs =A347.90 and may take a week or more to arrive if they have to get it in from Germany. My question is, is there any way to repair these pipes? It looks like they're made from steel, as it has fractured where it is bracketed onto the car body, and shows evidence of rust. 2=2E Having filled up the reservoir to investigate the problem it turns out that the power steering pump now makes a rather nasty grating noise, although it does still work. Will this also need replacing, or do you reckon I should just replace the pipe and see if the problem develops?

Thanks for your help

Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat

are you sure you carnt just buy 1 pipe? you will need the metal unions which goes on each end as they carnt come off the old one(only extra £2) also check engine mounts as to why it fractured in the 1st place

your PAS pump will be ok once the fliuld leval is back to normal , keep going lock-to-lock and the noise will go away a few mins

Reply to
ford_technical_

Thanks for the reply. According to the technician I spoke to on the phone the pipes come as a pair. I think this makes sense because the mounting brackets are encased in rubber and wrap around the two pipes.

It looks like the old one just rusted through although she may have smacked the bumper which stressed the bracket leading to the fracture.

I'm not sure what you mean by the metal "unions". Surely they will come with the new set of pipes as I can't see how I could fit them otherwise, as both ends of the pipe are flared?

I hope you're right about the pump - she did drive all the way from London to Bristol with it dry though!

Thanks again Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat

Thanks for the reply. According to the technician I spoke to on the phone the pipes come as a pair. I think this makes sense because the mounting brackets are encased in rubber and wrap around the two pipes.

It looks like the old one just rusted through although she may have smacked the bumper which stressed the bracket leading to the fracture.

I'm not sure what you mean by the metal "unions". Surely they will come with the new set of pipes as I can't see how I could fit them otherwise, as both ends of the pipe are flared?

I hope you're right about the pump - she did drive all the way from London to Bristol with it dry though!

Try a car breakers, I had a similar problem with a rover and a pair of pipes were £90+ breakers £5 and they were perfect!!

Des

Reply to
Des

Actually Des I went to the local breakers (Jones in Devizes) on Saturday and they had nothing suitable. The Ghia model has a specific type of pipe with male unions as opposed to female unions meaning they're a bit short in supply. As I live in rural Wiltshire then faffing about on Saturday round scrapyards is a bit of a waste of time... I'm going to bite it and get the new ones I reckon.

Thanks Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat