Focus econetic: no spare tyre

what did you race ? I had several friends that raced back in the early

70s -80s, one was into bantams, one outfits and a triumph twin, and one into big production bikes and 24 hour races, plus classic racing and the isle of man.
Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

I raced a self-built 650 Triton for two seasons, and then an AJS 7R, again for two seasons.

Proudest moment of my life was winning a club race in 1970 at Brands on the 7R :-)

I went to spectate at a classic meeting at Brands last year. Modern electrics, and improved reproduction parts have transformed the bikes. I used to have to start the 7R on a soft plug, then fit a racing one when it was warmed up. We all used Castrol 'R', and pre-heated it on cold days over a camping stove. The 7R wouldn't do anything approaching a tickover, you had to keep blipping the throttle hard, or it would oil the plugs.

All that's changed; they barely touch the bike between races, and warm them up at a fast tickover!

Doubt I could ride one now; I still have, and fit into, my old leathers though!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I had a Ajay G12 CSR, Dickie Mares put a busmar d/a sidecar on it for me. great fun in the snow. I imagine the main differences on the same machines used now are things like super voltage ignition systems, plus precious metal plugs rather than the old champion N3R s (or whatever it was). I used to run the Lotus twin cam on castrol R, but it was all a bit futile as it needed changing too often, gorgeous smell though!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Bedford CF vans and Marinas were both known for the gearlevers parting company with the box too, I've had both happen.

Even recently, I've had days where my Minis don't idle well and heel 'n' toe it halfway to work, and bump-start when they stall at junctions. My daughter (20) impressed me with her ability to keep a wet Mini going at such a young age!

Few people these days enjoy the "adventure" of driving, most are incapable of dirtying their hands to fix even the most basic problem. It keeps the garages and recovery firms flush I suppose.

Reply to
asahartz

drive it but don't drive it fast, I suppose?

Reply to
Fred

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Whelan saying something like:

I did; it got a bit lumpy. Luckily it was 2am and back roads with nobody else around.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon