Ford Escort High Idle when cold

Anyone know what could be upsetting the engine to cause it to idle around 1600rpm when cold?

It's a 98 1.6 16v (Zetec) and it starts immediately when you turn the key, and revs straight to 1600rpm, gradually falling as it heats up. You can take the car away and it will drive fine although I'm slightly worried as to what could be causing it to idle so high.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Possible a dodge Temp sensor?

I had the same problem, althought be it on a CVH.

HTH MCN

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

In news: snipped-for-privacy@karoo.co.uk, MadCrazyNewbie slebbered:

I've been to a scrappy and picked up two of these sensors for a fiver and both of which have not made any difference :-(

The problem seems to have got worse with idle now bang on 2000 when started from cold. It's almost like using the accelerator as you can let the clutch up slowly and the car will go up the hill in first itself quite happily :-o

Ta,

Graham

Reply to
Graham