Ford transit

Hi there

I recently bought a '93 tranny. As I looked over the vehicle i noticed that the water level was only around half an inch above the minimum level. The van lasted 26 miles and the engine ground to a halt after (ticking for about 10 miles). The odd thing is that there was no steam and also the temperature guage did not go much over half way. Does anyone know if, when the water cistern is just over minimum as I described, how much water is neded to refill the system. I've known some vehicles to take more water than is apparent as the pressure from the fuller cistern is required to push the water through bends etc. I also recall on previous motors that the temp guage did not register the true water temperature if there isn't enough water in the system. Is this the case with the tranny? Thankfully the owner gave me my money back! He hasn't diagnosed the problem but the engine turns but won't start. The engine failed on the motorway it's possible that the water level was too low to cope with demands of motorway driving. The water level was a few inches below minimum after the engine failed.

Thanks to any replies!

David

Reply to
davidgladwin

Water does not get pushed round the system by pressure, it gets pumped round by the pump. What the pressure does is prevent the water boiling off because under pressure it boils at a higher temp, just like in a pressure cooker. As long as the level is at least as high as the water pump it will circulate, although it won't spend long enough in the radiator to get rid of the heat before it's off round on another lap.

So no problem then. Was he a trader? He probably bought it in and put it up for sale without driving it more than a couple of miles. And now you know to see the engine run with the coolant cap off, providing it's not too hot to remove it for safety reasons. Any sign that is not normal ie level low, water a gungy brown colour or rusty deposits all over the place is a sign that all is not well and needs very careful scrutiny. Also be very suspicious if you find a container of water in the boot or wherever. Especially if it's a french car.

I once attended an A series with a york engine, and when I took off the cap and started the engine, a jet of water shot out of the radiator, hit the underside of the bonnet and flew out to the front, soaking the poor driver!

He hasn't diagnosed the problem but the engine turns but won't

But you don't care now, do you ;-))

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Thanks for that. No, he wasn't a trader it was on ebay and he had owned the van for 6 months. If he was dodgy he wouldn't have taken it back, I genuinely believe he had no idea a disaster was due! I understand about the pump, the likely cause is head gasket but you would expect steam to come out as you're drivivng along which didn't happen.

Cheers

David

Reply to
davidgladwin

i know it's a daft one, but was there enough diesel there? also, could have been the cambelt let go, you didnt mention how many miles it done.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I did run it low but I don't think that would account for the ticking noise the engine made. I then got out and put a gallon in, made no difference and kept ticking for next 10 miles gradually losing power and then stalling and unable to start also lost plenty water over the

26 mile drive. It turns still though. Other posibility is the oil pump. He said the cambelt only done 20k but if it was the belt it would have been sudden. He'll probably get to the bottom of it in which case I'll let you know.

Cheers

Jon

Reply to
davidgladwin

shirley this must have made alarm bells ring? it sounds like the head gasket, the loss of power and failure to start again being caused by lack of compression.

if it was the oil pump and oil wasnt getting round the engine it would have seized and wouldn't turn over again. you would probably notice some rather less than pretty noises coming from the engine shortly before it expired in a pile of smoke.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Yes the alarm did ring but I was stuck on the M25 with no RAC cover. In any case as soon as the ticking started the van was scrap as I only paid =A3450 for it.

Reply to
davidgladwin