Gasket sealant

Can anyone recommend a gasket sealant. Just looking on ebay for one to put around my thermostat housing before I bolt it all back together.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Blue Hylomar is my favourite. It smells nice and is a pretty colour. What more could anyone ask?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Thanks. Just ordered a tube. I know its a semi daft question, but the last time I used gasket sealant, Hermitite was the popular one and not seem that around on ebay so I must be a bit out of touch.

Next problem, I got my thermostat and gasket set today. Its for a 1990 Sierra 1.8 cvh but the gasket doesn't fit. All the one's on ebay look the same as the one I was supplied with, so can't blame the firm that supplied it as its the Sierra CVH type. Now on the hunt for the mysterious thermostat gasket for my Sierra.

This is the same as the one supplied to me, but the holes do not line up with my thermostat housing.

BTW, what is the spring clip for in that gasket photo on ebay? I was spullied with one too. My thermostat housing did not have one of those when I took it apart. In fact even the original thermostat was smaller that the one supplied and sits inside the housing and no wider diameter than the top rad hose, but the supplied stat QTH105 is like this
?PSet=97&sTxt=qth105and will only fit on the flange of the stat housing on the engine side. If this doesn't make any sense, I may have to take photos to explain what I mean.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

photos

Thermostat housing on engine side

New stat placed in hole

Old and new stats.

Original one on left fits inside stat housing

New stat will not fit inside and has to sit like this

Gasket won't line up

Reply to
Mark

Does the cover fit OK over this? If it sits properly without leaving a gap at the mating surfaces, I wouldn't worry.

Personally, I'd just make a new gasket to fit. If you haven't got any proper gasket paper, it's traditional to use a bit of Corn Flake packet. This is a lot easier if you have hole punches of the right diameter.

No idea what the spring clip is for, but then I haven't done a Ford one for a long while.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Spelt Hermatite, I think. Was that the red-lead coloured stuff that set like rock? I've spent many a happy hour scraping that damned stuff off. Hylomar stays soft, which is another big reason I prefer it.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Yeah, that sounds familiar. I seem to remember hacking off that red stuff too. I've ordered some of the gasket paper as cannot find my gasket anywhere. Very odd as my engine is a 1.8cvh and all the outlets I've seen selling them are the wrong one for my thermostat housing.

Mark

Reply to
Mark
[...]

Nope. Hermetite.

Yep. Relic of a bygone age, I'm glad to say!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

The clip fits in a groove in the housing to retain the 'stat. Is there a groove in the housing?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That is what I thought it was for, but no groove and the original stat doesn't sit far enough in housing to get on it even if there was a groove. One end pressed up agaisnt rubber seal inside housing and copper disc end of stat poking about half inch out of housing. That would insert it slightly into side of inlet manifold water jacket I think. In Haynes they don't mention a clip for the CVH. I'm totally confused on this at the moment.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

CVH Sierra should really be QTH339 which is 38mm not QTH105 which is

48mm, although the 105 allegedly fits...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

On CVH Escorts of the same era, the 'stat fits 10 or 15mm into the housing, and is retained by the clip. Perhaps the Sierra is different, but the gasket kit is universal?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Did a search for QTH339 and that is the same as the one in my Sierra. I think I've been sold the one for a 1.6 cvh Sierra. didn't know they made one. I thought the 1.6 was the pinto, but I'm probably wrong. Should have gone to a car shop but couldn't get out to get one. I've found a QTH339, but only on a German site so far.

Thanks for pointing me at the right one.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I think I'm right in saying that initially, the 1.6, 1.8, and 2.0 were all Pinto. Later, the CVH replaced the Pinto, but only for the 1.8.

Perhaps you have the one for a 1.8 Pinto?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You can also remove it easily with cellulose thinners.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Blue Hylomar isn't intended as a gasket for sealing large gaps. It's a surface treatment to fill minor imperfections that should be applied very thinly and can be got in spray on form.

It's what you would use if you had a metal head gasket and had problems with leakage at oil and water ways.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Use cereal packet, clean joint faces with scotchbrite or a green pan scourer, fit Dry.

Reply to
Peter Hill