glued in wind shield

hello! ive got a little rust around my windshield frame on my toyota. its a glued in type. the rust doesnt bother me,its just i am worried the windshdield might crack i know about people with the non glued type screen that cracked from the pressure of the window frame rust .

has anyone seen the effect of well progressed rust on glue in wind shields? does it crack them too? from what you reckon do panel beaters have a good chance of removing glued in glass intact? or do i end up with a broken windshield to replace either way?

thanks

Reply to
Chevy

Sell the car before it gets expensive. :-(

A while ago, I had a perfectly good 13 year old Volvo 240 Estate with

165,000 on the clock. The windscreen had been replaced several times (about 4 from memory) since new. The Volvo front screen is quite upright and seems particularly vulnerable to small stones hitting and cracking it, especially when travelling at motorway speeds. With hindsight, I now see that all the glue removal, done by scraping with blunt screwdrivers by the guys replacing the windscreens, damaged the rust proof layer under the paint.

The first I knew I had a problem was when the front driver and passenger footwells started getting wet in heavy rain. It took a while to discover that the water was getting in from around the windscreen as the rust that was opening up the hole, was concealed behind the decorative rubber trim round the outside. A few months later the pressure on the screen cracked it.

I took the car to my local bodyshop and explained the problem. They got one of the windscreen repair franchises in to remove the screen and then they removed the rust, repaired and repainted the surround, before getting the windscreen guy back to replace the screen. IIRC, it cost me about £500 in all and that's with my insurance covering the cost of the replacement glass.

Two years later, the rust started to re-appear and the footwells would get wet when it rained. I got rid of the car.

Reply to
Ian Edwards

Ask a bodyshop who they have do their glass - most have someone they use for removal and replacement of windows before and after painting. If they use a big firm, find out which fitter they recommend and ask for them, because some are good and some are s**te...

Reply to
Doki

"Chevy" wrote in message .

Reply to