Water Leak

Hi Group,

I have a 1983 280CE Coupe that has recently started letting in water during heavy rainfall.

The water appears to be entering the interior on the left hand rear side pillar, immediately behind the rear window. I've noticed that there are what appears to be vents on the outside of the bodywork at the same location, behind the chrome trim.

Could this be where the water is getting in, or might it be some other location? ....... sunroof drain .... ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Reply to
Anyhow

I found a water leak? too - 240D - the water is in the trunk, passenger's side, and when I took a towel and absorbed it.. I saw a little hole and the water was bubbling up through it into the car. It wasn't coming from on top of the car, but from underneath! Maybe it ran from the top at some time and was gathered there then came through? How can I locate the source of this? Does the AC 'drain' go back through that area? We've had an enormous amount of rain lately. The water is all out now and no more is bubbling into the trunk passenger's side .. but I need to find the source. Any ideas? TIA.

Helen

Reply to
Helen

After checking, as far as I can see, the sunroof drain tube appears ok. Will investigate further and pull the lining and sunroof as a last resort if I can't find any other cause.

Reply to
Anyhow

I had a new rear screen seal put on my car as I had water ingress in the boot from 'somewhere'. When the screen guy popped the window out, he didn't disconnect the heater connections. End result, I got a 2nd hand screen and did the job again myself, but I watched how he did it, so it was easy (especially with a new screen seal).

I digress What I did note when the guy had my screen out was a small hole on the LHS bottom of the screen recess. This was effectively under the rubber seal of the screen. It looked like the place where 3 panels met. It was not a corrosion hole, in fact it looked like it had been there from day 1. I thought at the time it was a drain hole. There was only

1 hole though. Any way, despite the new seal, next time it rained, I got water in the boot. So since I wanted to fit this 2nd hand screen (with working demister) and I'd watched how you did the job, I popped it out and filled the hole (less than 1/4 inch dia) with chemical metal glue (hey it was a quick job and my dinner was getting cold). Any way, I now have a perfectly dry trunk.

If you don't want to pop the screen, get one of these auto windscreen places to gun seal the old rubber (between the body and the seal). That may just get the leak for you, if you reckon its from the screen seal. You might be able to do it yourself with a corking gun and some clear silicone seal from the DIY store. You'll need to do all 4 sides remember, since capilarity may draw in water even along the bottom edge. Some careful applications of water at various points may tell you for certain where its getting in.

.......... Rob.

"Helen" wrote:

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Thanks Rob. I spoke with a mechanic. He said it could be the exterior rubber gasket (my terms) around the rear window. He said he had a car and had that replaced but it still leaked. After replacing it twice with no success in stopping the water coming he said he learned that they had ordered the wrong part and the ill fit was causing the problem. He said he order one from MB and put it on himself and has had no leaks since. He's a mechanic not a body man but suggested that he would order the part for me and the shop across the street from him does body work - where he sends his jobs. The mechanic is an independent MB with years of experience. BTW, I am concerned about rust. With the water getting in from who knows where, and running under the car and then coming into the trunk/boot area, how could I find out if it has caused rust? I didn't see any, but I haven't crawled under it to look either. TIA

Helen

: >Helen : >

: >

: >> The drain tubes corrode off the roof mechanism. You'll need to check : >> carefully. Open the roof and use a pinlight to see down (you may need : >> to stand in the roof aperture). See if you can get a feel for the : >> condition of the tube at the corner. : >> If it looks poor, your going to have to pull down the head lining for : >> access. That'll mean popping the rear screen (since the roof lining is : >> held in by the top of the screen seal). Most everything else comes off : >> straightforwardly (screws) or is tucked behind the push on door seal : >> edges. The rear screen comes out easy, once you know the tricks. : >> You'll need to unfasten some of the roof mechansim down and get the : >> name of a tame welder to re-manfacture a new tube stub onto the roof : >> frame, and then you can push the drain tube back on. : >> You may be able to use one of these 'chemical metal' type glues to do : >> the work yourself. I've found them very good. You'll need to : >> paint/protect your job. : >>

: >> Fasten it all back up and your done. : >>

: >> This is a few evenings job though. : >>

: >> ......... Rob. : >> "Anyhow" wrote: : >>

: >> >Hi Group, : >> >

: >> >I have a 1983 280CE Coupe that has recently started letting in water : >during : >> >heavy rainfall. : >> >

: >> >The water appears to be entering the interior on the left hand rear side : >> >pillar, immediately behind the rear window. I've noticed that there are : >what : >> >appears to be vents on the outside of the bodywork at the same location, : >> >behind the chrome trim. : >> >

: >> >Could this be where the water is getting in, or might it be some other : >> >location? ....... sunroof drain .... ? : >> >

: >> >Any advice would be appreciated : >> >

: >>

:
Reply to
Helen

Found it!!!!

The bedding compound between the chrome window surrounds and the rear pillar had deteriorated and was letting water in. Applied new compound, appears to be successful.

Reply to
Anyhow