Honda Jazz mirror - repair or replace?

Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable?

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If the glass is intact it will probably go back together with Araldite

Reply to
Berty Blenkinsop

Don't think that will be enough on it's own. Having looked at the price of replacement I'm trying to work out how to shape a piece of steel plate to fit inside the mount to reinforce the broken plastic. I think it's doable, just going to be fiddly to make a template when it's not obvious how to remove the cable. I think it'll have to be a "C" shaped plate (or at least a keyhole slot cut in from one side.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Think I might have worked out how to remove cable if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. Any suggestions anyone?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

There are special tools made for the purpose, basically they push into the plug and depress/release the little clip on the metal tip allowing the lead and metal tip to be removed. Otherwise just clip them and resolder after.

ebay Durite 'terminal extraction tool' such as item number: 121830001851

Reply to
MrCheerful

Gripfill

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Duct tape, or if it is the LH mirror just leave it off, there is no legal requirement for a lh mirror unless the interior mirror is missing.

Reply to
MrCheerful

You can sometimes release them with a pin, needle, or small scredriver.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Tried that. Gone for the nuclear option (i.e. cutting the wires)

Reply to
Tim+

that would have been my option, quick clean and reliable.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Current progress.

All photos in one page:

Individual links:

Just need a good two part epoxy. Any recommendations?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

araldite, two part plastic weld, flexible or ordinary body filler would probably be the most convenient and quick. If you want something that will adhere really well and have the right amount of flex, use soudal fix-all it dries to a flexible hard rubber-like stuff, it will take up to a day to set nicely in that situation, but the screws will hold it during that time, incredibly useful stuff to have around as well. Job looks good so far

Reply to
MrCheerful

That looks useful stuff to have in stock. Once it's been opened, does the tube last a reasonable time provided it is well sealed?

This seems to be a reasonably cheap source:

newshound

It lasts ages in the tube, no problem. I just buy it from screwfix. It is also not smelly, can be cleaned up easily while it is fresh and can be finished to a nice finish if it will be visible. I recently attached a small wooden spacer to a plain plaster (no paint) wall, I also put two screws through it (for holding a bath still) After a few days I realised that I needed to make the bit of wood a bit thinner, so I removed the screws and cut it thinner with a multi-tool while still in place, only held by two square inches of fix-all, I finished it off with a chisel, still stuck to the wall. Impressive stuff.

Reply to
MrCheerful