Best buy, Series, 90, Disco or RR?

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion my 109 would cost too much to put back on the road (can't even slide the driver's window), and I'm considering buying something else. Having had a look at Auto Trader it appears that Discos are now appearing around 3K (UKP) and 1989/90 RRs about 4K. Personally I'd prefer a Series (up to 1.5K) or 90 (up to 3K), but would an early Disco be a better option?

It's probably going to be a second vehicle, although a reasonable TDi Disco (7K+?) might allow me to sell the car. Alternatively an RR running LPG sounds quite interesting.

I'm thinking mostly about the ease (and cost) of keeping the thing running and trying to minimise fuel costs (my 2.25 petrol 109 rarely bettered 13mpg).

How well do the 2.5 diesel 90s go and how does it compare to the TD? What kind of mpg figures would a 90 manage (petrol & diesel)?

I'm thinking a 2.25 88" petrol for around 1K might be the most sensible option, does this sound a reasonable assumption?

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
John Halliwell