I never knew that - Morris Traveller

I have just been watching a Wheeler Dealers were they rebuild a Traveller. I always assumed the wood (ash?) was fixed to a rigid rear
metal bodywork - WRONG. The wood is a frame, to which the individual metal panels are fixed with self tappers, with an alloy roof panel, meeting the front roof at the rear of the cabin.

Yup - it's a load bearing frame. Which is why they didn't offer an alternative without wood - like other makers did.
Didn't realise the roof was ally, though.
--
*I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

On 22/02/2018 14:52, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Yup. In the 70's when a mate and I were buying our first houses, I was dealing with dry rot in the house while he had it in the car.

a silly bit of trivia but 60/70s Dennis fire engines were built the same way on top of a ladder chassis
-

It was the traditional way of building a car body once. But an internal frame with the panels on the outside. Certainly lasted after WW2 with some - and not surprised it lasted longer with limited production vehicles like a fire engine.
--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 14:52:10 GMT

So Edna Everage's comment about "There's a half-timbered car!" really is true.
--
Davey.

On 22/02/2018 16:56, Davey wrote:

The Moggy 1000 van was the same. The front was held in place by the bolt on rear.
On 22/02/2018 14:52, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Yes, I saw it on a program about cars some years back. It seemed like an archaic approach but, I think, Morgan got a mention as still using wood in their cars for structural parts.
I believe a Traveller could fail its MOT if certain parts of the wood weren't sound.
While you see Morris Minors fairly often, I've not seen a Traveller in years.

Site Timeline