If it's not one thing, it's the other!

Before I even managed to get round to doing the wheel bearing on my Nova, the waterpump decided to let all of my engine coolant go whilst on my way back from picking up said wheel bearing from the motor shop. So, got a new waterpump and I can't for the life of me get the crankshaft pulley bolt off (engine just spins!) . I need this off so I can get to the cambelt cover, take that off and then remove the waterpump.

Anyone got any ideas on how to remove a crankshaft pulley? I've got a cheapo socket and breaker bar here and I was thinking of wedging said bar against the ground and turning the engine over via starter motor a couple of times (with spark plugs removed, of course!)

Thoughts?

-- Snapper

If there's a new way, I'll be the first in line. But it better work this time!

Reply to
Snapper

Long breaker bar/torque wrench wedge against a part of the chassis. Failing that - Impact driver.

Reply to
gazzafield

Wedge the starter ring gear if possible.

Reply to
Chris Street

Have you tried putting the car in gear?

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

I find there's too much flop (technical term) doing that - everything still moves too much.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

: > Have you tried putting the car in gear? : : I find there's too much flop (technical term) doing that - everything still : moves too much. : : Si : :

I did try that, too much flop as you say! Wedged a long breaker bar against the chassis in the end and turned the engine over via starter. Got a satisfying 'CLUNK!' as the bolt came undone! Only managed to get as far as removing the cambelt before it got dark.

Thanks guys!

Reply to
Snapper

That's what walls are for, innit.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I'll build one near the car immediately ;)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot