removing sirion automatic 1.0 crank pulley

Hi

I'm going to change the cambelt on a 52 plate Daihatsu sirion, any pointers to how the crank can be locked to undo the 19mm hex head bolt?

AJH

Reply to
news

On an auto where it can be difficult to lock the engine, I usually just 'shock' them free. If you have an impact driver and that can be used, perhaps the easiest way.

Or a stout well fitting spanner and hit it as hard as you can with the biggest hammer. If you need to use a socket and extension, support the end of the extension with an axle stand etc while whacking it - to prevent side forces breaking the socket.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Dave, I saw there was a small hole in the inner wing and with the steering on full lock I could get an impact driver to it, so just got to fit the belt and put it together as long as nothing moves once the belt is off. I may choose to slit the belt just in case.

AJH

Reply to
news

It's simple enough, there is an access hole through inner wing to loosen crankshaft nut with 19mm impact socket. Remove auxiliary belts. Remove top bolts from cambelt cover, Bring engine to TDC on 1 cylinder using mark on crankshaft pulley and timing belt cover..

Prise top of cambelt cover back gently and observe dimple in tooth of cam sprocket is adjacent to timing mark at top of cam cover/head. If not you are at TDC of cylinder 4 so rotate crank 360.

Remove crankshaft pulley and 4 bolts on water pump pulley. Undo remaining timing belt cover bolts and remove it.

Get someone to hold the camshaft pulley centre bolt with a spanner.

Slacken cambelt tensioner and remove, remove old belt. Replace with new belt and tensioner making sure dot on pulley remains pointing to mark at top. There is a similar mark at about 4 o'clock on the crank pulley.

Reassemble in reverse order. Gently rotate engine 360 to make sure everything is correct.

AJH

Reply to
news

I have a fairly large electric impact driver - really designed to loosen wheel nuts by the roadside. What I did find with it was adding an extension lessened the efficiency. Probably acting as a torsion bar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)