Indicator question

The indicator stalk on my Avenger has snapped off. (1979 Chrysler Avenger LS

1598cc) It seems next to impossible to get a replacement, so I have wired in a toggle switch, which I intend to mount on the dashboard. Will this pass the MOT like this? The main difference is that the new switch doesn't cancel the signal when you have turned, you have to do it manually. I have a vague memory that some old cars (E.g. Beetles?) came with dashboard mounted indicator switches.

Thanks, David.

Reply to
David Linley

What you propose is fine.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In the 1950's my dads Thames Trader lorry a large illuminated non cancelling indicator switch in the cab. At the age of 7 or 8 it was MY job to cancel the indicators having turned a corner.

Fatsod

Reply to
FatSod

Replacement might be possible using a part from another Chrysler/Hillman model of the period (I know they are not thick on the ground, but you never know)

As I recollect it was quite common in those days to have the same electrical parts in a whole range of cars across quite a long span of time e.g. Ford Escort indicator stalks were the same as fitted to cortinas etc.

So you could try a chrysler/hillman etc owners club, widening your field away from just the Avenger ...

Reply to
Richard Murphy

Citroen CX comes from the factory with a noncancelling switch on the dashboard, so I see no reason why not.

Reply to
Chris Street

Thanks for the reassurance. I have mounted it now and it works.

David.

Reply to
David Linley

This Yahoo Group might be a useful starting pint ...Stuart

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Stuart