Inflating a flat tyre on a Go-Kart

Hi,

Can someone tell me what is the best method to inflate a fully deflated tyre on my kart? I have a pedal pump that I normally use to inflate tyres on the Karts, but one of the tyre came of the rim recently. I have pushed the tyre back on rim but I guess there is not enough pressure created by the pedal pump for the tyre to start inflating as all air leaks out from the exposed gaps between the tyre and rim. I guess I need to take the whole wheel out to the nearest Gas station to get it inflated by the machine. But is there a way I can do this in my shed. What about those tyre inflators those work off the lighter socket in the car?

Any info greatly appreciated.

BTW there is no tube in the tyre.

Thanks

JM

Reply to
J M

Probably best unless you have a compressor. Or you could try the Icelandic trick of filling the tyre with butane from a ciggy lighter then igniting it (as seen on a Jeremy Clarkson prog some time ago).

No chance. They consist of a teeny weeny little piston with a displacement of about 20 ccs or less. You could fart more strongly I promise you.

Reply to
Malc

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (J M) contains these words:

Take your belt out of your trousers and do it up really tight round the tread of the tyre. That should push 'em out far enough to do the job.

Failing that, take it to a tyre shop - they'll take the core out of the valve and inflate it from their high power airline which'll blow the air in so fast the walls will get shoved out and all will be well.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

My son and I had many happy hours with a treacle tin with a piezo ignitor wired in on a long line. Short squirt of butane and fit lid firmly. Retire and click.

Reply to
Guy King

I'm reminded of the method for inflating tyres in iceland on the glacier-bashing 4x4s They squirted lighter fuel into the tyre and threw a match in. The expansion of the gases as it ignited forced the tyre onto the rim.

You may want to try this method. If you do, I want to watch.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

| | I'm reminded of the method for inflating tyres in iceland on the | glacier-bashing 4x4s They squirted lighter fuel into the tyre and threw a | match in. The expansion of the gases as it ignited forced the tyre onto the | rim. | | You may want to try this method. | If you do, I want to watch.

From behind a wall?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Forget going to the gas station. Their compressors don't put out enough volume to pop the tyre back on the rim. Just go to a tyre fitters.

Reply to
Conor

Last year I took my rubbish trailer out for the first time in months and forgot to check the tyre pressures. The nearside tyre came off the rim and fully deflated (both tyre beads into the centre well of the wheel). I was stuck at the side of the road with a loaded trailer and a flat tyre with no spare. I left the trailer where it was and went home to pick up my 12v compressor tyre inflator. Returned and took the wheel off the trailer. (Not easy because the bloody wheel itself keeps turning!). With the wheel off and the compressor connected and pumping, I kept 'bouncing' the wheel and tyre on the road thus working the beading out onto the raised part of the wheel rim. It worked and once the pressure started to build up it 'popped' both beads into position.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Hi

Which is indeed what you are supposed to do with a kart tyre to pop it on the rim (except for the type shop bit). When you have the bead on the rim you can do it with a foot pump as normal, I used my bike pump, works a treat.

You are also supposed to inflate kart tyres in a hoop thing which helps the tyre align correctly on the rim, I'm not sure everyone bothers with that though.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Paul Laidlaw