Is buying a new car in January better than February or later?

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway!

Is January the quietest month for new car sales and are prices therefore better than one will get/negotiate in February or later in the year?

I'm after a new Citroen C1, which I believe is less affected by the credit crunch than most cars as it's incredibly frugal. Citroen have an £800 cash-back on it in January. I've got a very attractive quote from

which is a lot cheaper than the best I can get from the Citroen dealer - i.e. list minus £800 cash back. I don't need the car immediately, but assume that
will follow the dealer price through time and therefore would appreciate advice on whether to definitely go for it in January because prices will go up. (Also, the weak exchange rate will possibly drive them up as it feeds through). Advice appreciated! Thanks.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Boulton

With the recession, it's all now completely irrelevent. Small cars are holding their value but mid range ones are being discounted like hell. The Vauxhall Vectra is being replaced by the Insignia and there's some places discounting Vectras by 50%, giving you a saving of £9k or more.

Reply to
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Which is why, on the C1 suggested, it may very well be relevant.

The forthcoming 09 plate may still have an effect. Also, I can't remember whether the facelifted C1's hit the streets yet - but there may be a bit of wiggle-room on pre-facelift cars.

Reply to
Adrian