Leaking diesel cutoff valve?

Hi All,

Recently I've been noticing a slight diesel smell after getting out of the 93 Rover 218SD (1900 Pug). Yesterday I noticed a very slight trace of diesel on the wet drive (emanating from under the front of the engine somewhere).

I *think* I can trace some diesel on what I believe is the diesel cutoff (pressure release?) electric solenoid valve that sticks out of the front of the mechanical fuel pump.

Is this something that typically leaks eventually or could it be leaking elsewhere and just running onto this somehow? Is it expensive or difficult to replace in the even that I have to (I don't mean doing the actual job as access looks easy etc but those hidden issues like things shearing off or having to bleed the fuel system etc).

The smell seems to coincide with turning off the engine and when I guess the valve would typically operate?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have had this valve leak. They are not too expensive to replace, provided you don't go to main dealers. Got mine from Neat Autos,

Brian

================================== Apparently it's a common fault on Peugeots - it's called a 'Stop solenoid'. Check by wiping the top clean and see if the diesel re-appears regularly.

I did mine a few weeks ago (about £30-00 to buy - try Ebay) without any problems - just a few minutes. Two things to look out for - O-ring on the body and the solenoid plunger might be left in the pump when you remove the solenoid. Both very obvious.

Haynes Manual emphasises that great cleanliness is required. No bleeding necessary.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Neat list them as £20 + VAT.