Diesel one way valve!

I have a problem with my Citroen ax diesel difficult starting when hot or cold! I was told to try to fit a one way valve in the fuel line to prevent the diesel from flowing back into the tank! Question is where can I get one, or is there one fitted to another make or model which I can obtain?

TIA Charles

Reply to
Charles

Does it have the primer pump/plunger/squidgy thing? The 405/306/zantia etc have them and they're one way valves. Look at the engine mount next to the fuel pump on the above cars to see one.

Reply to
yeha

Excess fuel is suposed to return to the tank. You probably have a slight air leak due to perished fuel pipe. Is there a primer bulb? (like the 1.9td Xantia). If so, give it a few squeezes before trying to start the engine. If it fires up immediately, you've proved a leak. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

I had this problem on my BX Diesel non turbo (XUD engine - which I think is the same as the one in your car) - thought it was the glow plugs so checked them all (- all ok bar one which had a broken tip and OS - which I replaced). Still didn't fully cure the problem.

What was the problem ?

With these engines the fuel is passed through a water heated 'pre - heater' - attached to the block below the manifolds at the rear of the engine. The problem was that the metal pipes (inlet and outlet) leaked fuel - they are a push fit into the heater alloy housing and over time the 'interference type fit' became in-effective. After discussing on this excellent newsgroup - I disconnected the rubber fuel pipes - joined them together with two jubilee clips and a small length of small bore pipe - thereby bypassing the pre-heater altogether.

Since then I've had no problems at all (even in the very cold weather) - starts almost first turn of the starter motor. However I was warned, by this newsgroup, to use 'arctic diesel' if I drove on the continent in the winter (especially Norway/Sweden or the Alps etc)

I suggest you look into this solution - oh and by the way it is very cramped at the back of the engine bay and the above was not easy (on a BX) - hope it is much easier on the AX.

Cheers

Sydney

Reply to
sydney

I've heard of people fitting non-return valves to the fuel supply pipe on Peugeot/Citroen diesels as a way of 'curing' untraceable air leaks. It doesn't actually stop the leak, but it prevents the fuel flowing back to the tank along the supply pipe when the engine is switched off, (which often leads to bad starting).

Obviously the best solution is to find the actual leak, but this is sometimes not easy, so a non return valve can be fitted as a bodge to prevent the fuel draining back to the tank & drawing in air as it goes.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read