Mercedes Benz CLK Opinions?

Still can't get "want a different car" out of my head but at least I'm being vaguely sensible and not buying the first thing I see :-)

I'm now looking (still) at E46 3-series coupes, and lately at Mercedes CLKs.

There seem to be too many CLKs out there at small dealers, not sure I'd trust those. I know a main dealer isn't necessarily any guarantee of quality, but but looking on the MB used car search, £11k seems to be the bottom end for an approved used CLK, there's two listed near me (Birmingham) at £11k for a CLK 320 with 90k or a CLK 200 with 50k.

Usual thing really, after any thoughts/opinions on the CLK beyond what you find on Google and Parkers etc.. constructive would be useful rather than "I don't like it because it's a Merc" sort of stuff ;-)

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

CLK is more understated and more respectable than the yob image 3 coupe, but not nearly as nice to drive, nor is it as well built (not the older cheaper ones). Engines are OK but the 4 cyl 230 compressor is the most dull sounding and uninspiring motor ever, and the superchargers whine as they get old.

If you can get a V6 (was there a V8?) you'll be doing alright. Don't get a manual, the car's not rewarding enough to drive to justify changing gear yourself and all modern mercs use as much fuel real world as auto or manual.

V6 drop top auto would be the pick for me.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The old MFM boss had a 2.3 supercharger one before his Porsche and he reported that it always whined...

And for many, you'll get better (lower) consumption using the automatic, too.

Reply to
DervMan

as long as they sorted the attorcious room for your feet near the pedals before it went facelift i drove one around town for a bit and i couldn't see what my feet were doing because the lower dash swooped round so much

what i would be doing looking at my feet while i was driving is neither here nor there, but i would have been seriously concerned had i been in an impact and had my feet caught in the crumple zones

Reply to
dojj

The 430.

Reply to