Mondeo creaking... more than usual...

My Mk1 Mondeo (Bangernomics rules!) has developed a creak just at the point when I stop fairly hard acceleration, ready to change gear.

It's only a quick creak (sounds similar to the classic Vauxhall 'clutch pedal squeak') and otherwise the car drives perfectly normally.

What's the group opinion? Engine mounts?

Reply to
PC Paul

Anti Roll Bar top bush.

Al.

Reply to
Al

Yuck. Just looked it up - on the forums replacing them has been described as 'not difficult by any means' but "it's probably the most hateful job I've ever done to a car in my whole life".

It doesn't particularly happen on corners - in fact I've only noticed it on straights. Does that count for or against bushes?

And if the bushes are going off is it likely to be an MOT failure issue?

Reply to
PC Paul

Probably not an MoT fail (certainly not at my tester, unless about to fall off). To test, remove them and try it, remember the handling on bends will be slightly worse than normal

Reply to
Mrcheerful

IIRC we swapped the ARB bushes on the Mondeo I had. Before they were done it sounded like the parcel shelf was rattling about over bumps.

Reply to
Doki

Interesting.. that's a follow-up problem I was going to get to eventually..

Are we talking front or rear bushes, or both?

And if they are the D shaped type with a slit in, then how come they are supposed to be tricky to change (the front ones at least...)?

Reply to
PC Paul

My friends v6 has creaked n groaned its way past 3 mots. Its not worn out, no play,all ok, other than the noises lol. N she not bothered about that.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet